An Uncharacteristically Lena Thing To Do

"You're leaving?" Kara practically shouted.

She, Ava, and Lena were sitting on the rooftop directly above Lena's office, eating pizza, as was their Sunday afternoon custom. Kara was in her Supergirl gear, but as of right now, she looked helplessly distraught.

"You can't be leaving! Where would you go?"

"Kara, calm down," Lena said. "Ava, could you explain what's going on? I think you've scared my wife."

"Well, my foster parents each have to work to support their family, and my foster dad just got laid off, so they can't afford to keep me around anymore. I'm being shipped off to a group home in Arizona next Tuesday."

"Arizona?" Kara sputtered. "But that's too far away! You can't go to Arizona!"

"I don't want to, but the decisions not mine to make." Ava sighed. "Besides, you can always fly there to visit me. I hear you're pretty fast." She chuckles halfheartedly.

"But it's a ten minute flight to Arizona, and I can't tell what's going on here as well when I'm there. I don't have to be off duty to visit you here!"

Ava's shoulders slumped as she stared out across the horizon, absentmindedly kicking her feet. She looked as if she were about to cry.

"Kara, love," Lena murmured. "I'm sure this is already hard enough for Ava. We're supposed to be making her feel better, not worse."

"I know, I'm sorry. Chin up, kiddo, it'll be alright."

"I guess," Ava responded, kicking the side of the building lightly. "I'm really going to miss you."

Kara wrapped her arms snugly around her little friend, pulling her into a warm hug. Lena put her arm around the two of them, and they watched the sunset for a bit. Then, Ava announced that she had to go because her foster mom was making dinner, and Kara reluctantly carried her back to the ground and let her go. She fondly watched Ava slink down the sidewalk with a sad smile on her face. Lena took her wife's hand and nuzzled her shoulder softly.

"Is it ok to cry now?" Kara asked, already tearing up.

"Yes, love. Let's go back to the apartment and let it all out."

Kara spent the evening curled up in Lena's lap on the couch, Mercutio sitting beside her, his fuzzy body pressed into her leg.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sight that greeted Kara the next day was one of the last things she would've thought she'd find: Ava sitting in her apartment, playing a game of chess with Lena, a small bag at her feet. It wasn't uncommon for Ava and Lena to play chess, but it was uncommon for Ava to show up without Kara knowing she was coming. Normally, Kara was the one behind last minute visits, not Lena.

"Why is Ava here?" Kara asked. "Not that I'm not happy as always to see her. And why does she have a bag?"

"Because she's going to be living with us now," Lena answered plainly like it was no big deal.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"I went down to the adoption agency, picked up some papers, and brought them back home for you to sign, along with Ava."

"So you adopted her?"

"Well, yeah, kind of. As soon as you sign the papers, everything will be squared away. I figured we could drop them off after dessert, and then swing by Ava's foster home to get the rest of her things."

"Wait. Really?" Kara questioned, already grinning. "Is this real? Did you do this?"

"Yup."

"Where are the papers? How did you get this done so quickly? I thought the adoption process took months!"

"I'm a Luthor," Lena responded with a hint of a smirk. She handed Kara a stack of papers and a book to bear down on. "I have a way of getting things done. When it comes to legal matters, I happen to have a very good attorney."

"Well this is great! Welcome to the family, Ava!" Kara smiled and gave Ava another hug, just as big as the one she gave her the last time she saw her, but full of joy rather than soul crushing sadness.

After dinner, chess, dessert, more chess, and another trip to the adoption agency, it was pretty late. Kara and Lena decided that Ava could make due with what she had for one night, so they headed home, tucked her into the guest bedroom, and got ready for bed themselves.

"Well that wasn't something I expected from you," Kara remarked, slipping into bed beside Lena. "I didn't know you were capable of spur of the moment decisions."

Lena rolled her eyes.

"For real, though. You didn't even talk to me first, just did it!"

"Well, I knew what you'd say," Lena smiled. "If you'd have seen the look on your face when I told you, you'd understand why I kept it a surprise."

"I thought you said you didn't want kids," Kara said, her voice growing softer.

"Well, I didn't want babies. They're very hard to take care of, needing constant attention, especially newborns. But Ava is in sixth grade. She can handle herself. All she needs from us is food, clothes, a roof over her head, and a hell of a lot of love, all things I know we can provide."

"I love you so much," Kara whispered, giving her wife a slow, sweet kiss.

"I love you, too."

That night, Kara fell asleep to four heartbeats: Lena's, Mercutio's, Ava's, and her own. The light thumping was a melody sweeter than any orchestra could provide her with. She loved her little family with all she had.