What the Hell, Kara?

Kara swooped down from the sky just as school got out. Her new sixth grade friend made her way eagerly towards the superhero. Kara smiled warmly at the girl.

"Let's walk to the ice cream place. It's not far from here, and, as much as I like flying, we can't really hang out if you're riding on my back, can we?"

"I guess not," Ava answered merrily.

"So, do you know what kind of ice cream you want?"

"Chocolate chip. Why are you friends with me?" the kid asked suddenly.

"What?" Kara was taken aback.

"Well, I just mean, I'm this poor little foster kid, and you're, well, Supergirl. Why do you want to be my friend."

Kara frowned. She didn't like her little friend's lack of self confidence.

"You remind me a lot of myself when I first came to this planet," she answered. "I didn't have a family, either, but I got one, and I got used to life on earth gradually. I was twelve, only a year older than you."

"But you were always wanted," Ava said. "You found a family, who I'm guessing you can't really talk about because that would give away your secret identity. My foster family only puts up with me because they feel bad for me."

"You don't know that," Kara protested.

"Yes I do. They're very nice, but they're not family."

"Y'know what? You are wanted, Ava, because I want to be your friend."

This made Ava grin, genuinely grin. Her happiness shown all throughout her face. Her eyes seemed to smile, her cheeks grew rosy, and her beam made her freckles pop and her dimples show.

"Thank you, Supergirl."

"Any time, Ava. Now, let's go get that chocolate chip ice cream."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crap. Crap crap crap crap crap. That was all Kara could think as she saw the man step into the shop across the street with a gun. Everything was quiet for now, but she knew that it was only a matter of time before he pulled it on someone. People don't just walk into bookstores with loaded guns and shaky hands. Fortunately, L Corp was close by.

"Get on," she directed to Ava, gesturing to her back. "It's an emergency. We need to go."

And that's how she found herself knocking on the glass door of Lena's office from the balcony. Lena looked extremely confused as she let Kara and Ava inside.

"K-Supergirl. What a surprise. And who is this?"

"This is Ava. Listen, Miss Luthor-" a gun went off. "I need a huge favor. Um, I have to go stop whatever is going on down there, and I happen to have this kid with me."

"Say no more," Lena answered, shooing her out. "I've got the kid, you get the criminal.

"Thanks! I owe you one!"

"You got that right," Kara heard Lena mutter.

She came back twenty minutes later to find Lena and Ava, sitting on the floor, playing chess. Lena had kicked off her heels. She stood when she saw Kara re enter the room.

"Supergirl, can I talk to you for a second, out in the hallway?" she said, giving a tight lipped smile.

"Of course, Miss Luthor. I'll be right back, Ava. We should only be a couple minutes."

"What the hell, Kara," Lena hissed as soon as the door to her office was closed. "What were you thinking? Why do you have a kid with you? Why did you dump her on me?"