Chapter 9

*Jackson's POV*

Aaron and I get in the back seat of the car and my mom and aunt get in the front. My cousins were riding in the car with their dad, also known as my uncle Rob and my grandma with them too. He picked them up earlier. I lean on Aaron's shoulder dreading going to this funeral but knowing I should out of respect. I just don't want to remember my grandpa as laying in a casket. I want to remember him like he was during our camping trips and car rides where he would blast his favorite music and was full of laughter. A single tear rolls down my cheek just thinking of our memories together. Aaron notices and wipes the tear off and putting his arm around me.

"It's going to be okay baby boy," Aaron whispers so only I can hear.

It is so weird how a few hours ago in was so happy and now I am filled with dispair. Our moods can change so quickly from a single memory. We arrive at the funeral home and park in the parking lot with the other few cars of our close family. We get out of the car and Aaron and I walk inside hand in hand. I put on a fake smile as we are greeted by some family standing right inside the door.

"Hey Jackson! I've missed you," says my older cousin Nova.
"I've missed you too, Nova," I say giving her a hug.
"Who is this hottie?" Nova asks looking at Aaron.
"Oh uh, Nova, this is my boyfriend, Aaron," I say nervously.
"Damn, you got a good one. Good job baby cuz," Nova says walking away to talk to other people in our family.

After about 10 minutes of talking to family we walk into the room where the casket is. It is open and I reluctantly walk inside. As I walk up to the casket and look inside I start to break down. Tears won't stop streaming from my face. He is so pale and he is ice cold. This isn't him. This can't be him. Aaron pulls me into a hug and rubs my back.

"Why don't we go outside and get some fresh air," Aaron suggests grabbing my hand as he starts to walk twords the door. We walk outside and sit on the steps.

"We can go back in whenever you are ready," Aaron says wiping away a few stray tears on my face.
"I don't know how I'm going to get through today," I say quietly.
"Hey, I'm here. Just breathe," Aaron says calming me down.

Nova walks out here with a bottle of vodka in her hand and some shot glasses.

"One for you, one for you, and one for me," she says pouring us each a shot.
"You are such a bad influence," I say laughing at her. Actually laughing for the first time since we got here.
"Hey I'm 22, I might as well use my power to help someone out," she says.
"Good point," I say taking the shot in my hand and pouring it down my throat.
"Damn baby boy," Aaron says taking his shot and doing the same thing.
"More?" Nova asks.
"I'm good. I dont think it would be very smart to get drunk at a funeral," I say standing up.
"Okay then," Nova says taking another shot, "Do you guys want to go somewhere?"
"Where could we possibly go right now?" I ask.
"Well I was thinking somewhere other than here. I mean it is really depressing and we have already paid our respects," Nova says.
"Okay but I'm driving," I say knowing Nova has has a little too many drinks.
"I call shotgun," Aaron says getting in the passenger seat.
"Ugh fine," Nova says getting into the car slowly.
I start the car and drive down the road, "Why dont we just go to a Starbucks and get you sobered up a little bit," I say to Nova.

I pull up to Starbucks and get out of the car, "Hey Aaron, can you help her inside so I can get her something to drink quickly."
"Yeah no problem," Aaron replies helping Nova out of the car.

I order a water for Nova and some coffee for Aaron and I. Aaron and Nova sit down and I bring them their drinks.

"Drink up," Aaron says to Nova.
"Is it vodka?" Nova asks.
"Sure," Aaron replies trying to help her out.
"This is water," Nova says after taking a few sips, "I'm drunk not stupid."

After we finish our drinks we sit there and just talk for about a half an hour later I get a call from my mom.

"Jackson where are you?" my mom asks, worried.
"I'm at Starbucks with Aaron and Nova. We had to step away from the funeral for a bit," I reply.
"Okay, come back whenever you're ready," she says.
"Alright bye, love you," I say hanging up the phone.

"Are you sober yet?" Aaron asks Nova.
"Barely," Nova replies.
"I'm going to go get you more water," I say standing up and taking her cup with me so I don't have to pay for another one. I bring it back to the table and sit down.
"How are you guys not drunk?" Nova asks.
"Because we only had one shot, I'm pretty sure you drank an entire half a bottle," I say quietly.
"Oh," was all she said before drinking her water.

Once she finished her water we got into the car and drove back to the funeral home. My mom was waiting outside. We get out of the car and walk twords my mom.

"Thank god your back," she says, "so many people have been wanting to see you, Jackson."
"Okay well I guess I will go in and say hi then. Oh and um mom, can you watch Nova for a bit. She is semi-drunk. I can explain later, love you," I say grabbing Aaron's hand and walking inside.

"Hey uncle Rob!" I say as I walk in the door.
"Jackson, its been forever. I've missed you," he says smiling at first but then his smile fades as he looks over at Aaron. "Who is this?" he asks.
"Uncle Rob this is Aaron, my boyfriend," I say confidently knowing everyone else was supportive.
"Nice to meet you," Aaron says extending his hand out to shake my uncles hand and he shakes it back.
"Nice to um, meet you too," my uncle Rob says not so nicely.
"Hey is there a problem?" I ask him in a quiet voice.
"Actually, there is," he replies.
"And the problem is?" I ask.
"First off your grandfather, my father, just died and second off you are dating a guy. What in the world is wrong with you," he says harshly.
"What is wrong with you? Does me dating a guy really bother you that much?" I ask obviously hurt.
"Yes it does actually. Do you know the reputation our family is going to have now because of you?" he says trying not to yell and create a scene.
"I'm not listening to this bullshit anymore," I say as I grab Aarons hand and start to walk away but before going completely out of his sight I kiss Aaron on the cheek and look back at him. He has a disgusted look on his face so I kiss Aaron again. This time on the lips and smile back at my uncle who has lost it by now and starts fast walking tword us.
"Oh shit, c'mon," I say to Aaron pulling him down a hallway and into a bathroom where I lock the door. Well this day took an unexpected turn.

_________________________________

Okay so this is most likely the longest chapter I have written which is kinda bad considering it isn't that long but deal with it because I have been updating every single day lol. Don't forget to vote if you want and tell your friends about this book. Love you❤❤❤