2: Death & Repent

"She didn't make it." the sooner those words slipped out from the middle-aged brown-haired woman, the sooner tears began to form in young Lucy's eyes.

The little one gripped on to the hem of her skirt, not knowing what to do or what to feel about this sudden tragedy. Like the big girl her mommy always told her to be, she still kept her chin up, biting her lower lip to muffle the cries but still her tears were too visible to hide from Cana, Layla's boss and college friend.

She sighs depressingly, crouching to the little one. In an instant, instinctively, she placed her hand on top of Lucy's head, making her stare into her eyes. "Hey." she calmly started. "I know what it's like to lose your own parents. And that's okay. I know you're a strong girl, just like your mommy tells me to treat you like."

Lucy started sniffling, still keeping herself from bursting into tears.

But, one move Cana did and she broke her promise. She was pulled into a tight hug with a hand caressing her hair gently, trying to soothe her.

"It's okay, just...cry on me for a while. But, just for a little while." she added sternly.

💄

Cana brought Lucy home--to be more specific, at the bar her mom always worked at.

"Will I see mommy in heaven someday?"

The brown-haired adult sighed, running her hand through her greasy curly hair, she crouched down to look into the eyes of the eight-year-old.

"Look, you seem like a nice kid, of course I know that. I've been takin' care of ya backstage while your mama was workin'." she looks away for a second before continuing. "Your mommy will be in heaven, I know it. But, you won't be able to see her--for now."

With the blonde's little hand, she reached for one of the brunette's curly hair and started caressing it. "My mommy always says she's very thankful to you."

Cana's eyes widened, "Oh, really?" she scoffs, "For all I know, she might be cursin' me behind my back for forcing her to be here."

The little girl shook her head innocently. "Nope. Mommy swore I shouldn't tell you but I already did. So, I'm thankful, too."

The brown-haired woman stood up, patting the little girl's hair. "Geez, kid, what a way to lighten up the mood." the smile on the little one's face faded once she saw a small hint of tear coming from the grown up's eyes.

"Uhm, are you...really close with mommy?"

Cana nodded back without hesitating. "Yes, of course. She's...one of the best friends I trust."

"Then, why are you crying? Mommy says best friends love, laugh and hug each other."

Lucy was picked up by Cana just so she could receive a gentle peck on the cheek before being put down. "Your mommy has taught you well."

Just then, the entrance door of Cana's bar was slammed open, revealing two men in police uniforms with their shades on, their faces unrecognizable. With this, Cana led Lucy into the dressing room to talk with the police.

"We're looking for Cana Alberona."

"Depends on who's asking." she replied in a dull tone.

Police #1 handed her of what appears to be a letter. Hesitantly, she grabbed it, opening it hurriedly. The moment she saw Layla's signature, she started reading the letter.

Her eyebrow lifted, the next thing was her eyes widening, she could feel her heart palpitating. "A-Are you serious?! 1-1-"

Police officer #1 nodded, "100,000,000 dollars has been left for Layla Heartfilia's daughter."

Cana knew Layla was such a hard worker but never thought she would manage to earn this huge of amount. She hugged the letter close to her heart and looked into the police's eyes, "Well, where is it? Why aren't you handing anything?"

Finally, the police #2 spoke. "I apologize but her daughter is-"

He paused after being distracted of seeing a little blonde girl running to Cana's side. Scoffing loudly, "Obviously a minor."

"Therefore," the police continued. "we cannot hand the money over unless she becomes of legal age. 18-21 years old. Or perhaps, if she gets married, she and her spouse will have the right to claim it as their own."

Lucy heard the conversation crystal clear and understood what they've been talking about. Fortunately, she was a lover of books, and it is her advantage to be able to calculate the years of how long she's going to wait until she can claim the money her mother left for her.

10 more years and I'll be able to claim it as my own.

"Ah," Police #1 exclaimed. "before we leave, we were ordered to take in Lucy Heartfilia to a foster home."

Lucy's eyes widened, the thought of mingling with the other kids outside her comfort zone frightened her. With that, she clinged tighter on to Cana.

Cana looked below and furrowed her eyebrows. Sighing, she shook her head at the officers. "Uh, no need for that."

"Ma'am, we were specifically ordered-"

"to find a suitable home and a guardian for her--which she already has." she held Lucy's hand and glared at both officers. "I'm a close friend of Layla and I would never let anything happen to her only daughter."

The police looked at each other for a while, whispering about their decision. Once they made it final, the police #2 took his walkey talkie, "This is officer Henry. Yes, everything's clear over here, over."

He saluted once for Cana before leaving the door along with his partner.

"Thank you, officers." the moment Cana closed the door, holding on to Layla's letter, she looked back at Lucy, who seemed to be dealing with something inside her head. Cana knew exactly what was troubling her.

"Lucy, I know I'm not the most responsible adult you have ever seen, but I promise, on Layla's death, I will take good care of you. You understand?"

Lucy smiles a bit and pulled Cana into a tight hug. "Yes, I understand, Auntie."

"Good. From now on, just call me Cana. Just Cana. Alright?"

The little one obediently nodded, "Okay, Auntie Cana!"

"Well, whatever. You'll get the hang of it pretty soon, anyway. The whole..just Cana thing."

💄

and yes, i decided to release this before my midterm exams so you guys can read while i'm reviewing wosnsksn anyway, hope you enjoy the chappie; love you 😚

xoxo,
clare - chan