4: Scar

Lucy couldn't bring herself to drift off to sleep that night, all because of the old man with the blue hair almost making a move on her; the way the old man maliciously stared at her, his eyes filled with excitement and lust to grab her.

It was an awful sight for a thirteen-year-old. She kept turning from her bed, still hasn't found her perfect position to sleep yet.

The picture of her mother was placed on her bedside table; she stared at her and closed her eyes, wishing she was still beside her to protect her from danger. "Mom...please help me."

Once her eyes were closed, she scrunched up her nose, remembering that day.

💄

"Wh-Where's Layla Heartfilia?" Cana nervously began sweating from all over the place, she ran her hand through her forehead at the Doctor's words.

"I believe she stays in Room 403, but she's currently being checked in the emergency roo-"

Before the Doctor could make his warning, she grabbed him by his coat as tears began flowing from the corner of her eyes. "Just take me there!!"

In a flash, the Doctor hurried running to let the brunette follow. With his eyes wiggling from all over the place and his hands quivered at Cana's aggressiveness. As soon as Cana reached the emergency room, he ran away to check another patient.

There she was, Cana thought as she touched the glass window separating her from her own best friend. "Damn it." her back that was leaned against the wall now sliding until she hit the floor. Her feet wrapped around by her guilty arms.

"I should... never have let her work here..."

•~

The surgeric group came out with their head hung low. One went past Cana, jotting down something as she whispered, "Date of death,"

Cana held her mouth, eyes opened so wide, she can barely miss anything in her surrouding. "Wait! Please, let me see her. She's my bestfriend, please.."

One of the woman nurses nods as a signal to the two men carrying her bestfriend, Layla's now lifeless body, placed on top of the bed. Slowly they pulled the blanket off her body.

Tears flowing like rivers, eyes filled with too much tears, enough to actually blind herself. Knees weak as the leaves, she couldn't hold it in anymore.

"W-What was the c-cause of her... d-de-death..?"

"Ms. Layla Heartfilia has been suffering from HIV for the past two months." The Doctor gulped down as he started reading from his clipboard again, not able to look directly into Cana's eyes. "But she left us a letter, for her daughter, Lucy."

With that , he held out the letter from his clipboard, placing it into Cana's hands gently. Cana looked at it in horror as she was about to open it. But the police raced her to it and snatched it from her grasp.

"That's for my bestfriend's daughter, give it back." she stated firmly, her hands rolled into fists by her sides as she signalled them to hand it back.

But they refused and said, "We'll escort you to your house, instead. And read it ourselves, out loud."

Cana shot icy glares at the police. "What makes you think you should be included? You two are not her family!"

"Neither are you," One of the two police smirked as he read Cana's record. "Cana Alberona, a.k.a. owner of Love and Lucky, the infamous slut bar of Magnolia. You are not even allowed to be the only guardian of that child-"

Cana abruptly grabbed his collar, almost lifting him up from the floor. "Listen, bub, I don't care who you are or whatever kind of research you did on me-- but, I can take care of Lucy. I promised Layla. And I am not breaking that fucking promise. Understand?"

💄

Impatiently, quite irritatingly, Lucy got up from her bed after she remembered that incident. Grabbing a glass of water from the fridge, she closed it gently and switched on the lights.

Her eyes widened at the sudden appearance of the man who almost touched her--

"Hello, little girl."

Slowly , she started backing away from the tall, dark figure, eventually her back hit the table inside the kitchen. Her hand lurked around the utensils she could possinly protect herself with, only to grab ahold of a knife and pointed it carelessly in front of him.

He raised his hands up and chuckled darkly. "Feisty, I like it." he licks his lips seductively, "Quite a show you're putting on. You are Cana's girl." but the courage she slightly felt while holding that knife lasted for such a short time.

"But you have to do better than that." he grabbed the blade of the knife, not caring of his now bleeding hand. Then swiftly clenched onto her wrist, lifting both of her arms up her head with her back being leaned against the wall.

He slowly leaned in, his free hand caressing her soft face, but aggressively squeezed her mouth until her screams couldn't be heard.

His tongue snuck out of his mouth, watering her cheek. She yelps in disgust, squirming in her position. But he was insane.

Insane enough to use his own belt to tie her mouth just so she won't be able to say anything. After that, completely stripping off her clothes, with his hands still clutched on both of her wrists.

"Yes, that's it... good girl." he mutters as he removed the belt from her mouth but before she could scream, he slammed his lips onto hers forcefully, with Lucy not being able to do anything.

He was too strong and aggressive for her; there was nowhere to escape--nobody to seek help from.

She lost her soul the moment he unbuckled his pants.