27: Making things right

"I swear to God, I didn't mean to lead her off to the wrong direction- I-I-" Evergreen was currently being interrogated by an engraging brunette, but the thin walls, of course, are not able to hide anything. The conversation did not go unnoticed by the blond, and almost interrupted by knocking, but wanted to hear the explanation first.

"You- I ought to fire you, is that what you want?" Cana seemed so exhausted, already running her hand through her hair. Lucy could see through the peeping hole. She didn't like firing people without a strong reason to, and based on that background, Cana is most probably testing her loyalty to the bar. "If I hadn't found my niece, you would've been kicked out already."

No, no it wasn't solely her fault.

Evergreen, meanwhile, stood still in her place, completely flustered. She wasn't like that before, what made her all fidgety and obedient?

"I admit, that was my first goal, but not when I see you."

"What?"

"Not in that way, but rather, you seem like a caring boss. You always make sure we eat well and do our job. Of course, my old jobs were like that and it's true I always complain about the tasks I've been given here. But I don't mean that. . .really. In my short time here, I've grown fond of working. Besides, I can take Lucy's shift, so she won't have to face the customers, if that's what want."

Cana squints her eyes, not taking it into her perspective despite the heartfelt speech given. She folded her arms against her chest and scratched the back of her head, indecisive of what to do. "I don't know."

That's when the blond barged in and defended Evergreen's side. "Auntie, I know I shouldn't be coming in between 'adult' decisions, but think about her speech for a moment. Ever-san is a good person, I can tell. It's true she always complains and complains to me all the time about wanting to get fired from before, but who knows? Maybe she had a change of heart."

"Oh, Lucy." Cana went to hold on to her niece's shoulder as an empathic move. "I still want to fire her, because she is doing a lousy job at it. I'm losing my regular customers."

Evergreen simply shrugged it off, "Eh. It was worth the shot."

"Wait, what? You were lying about all those things?" This may have came as a shock to the younger, but not so much to the brunette as she had dealt with her old employees and they all said the exact same speech. Ended up getting the hang of their lying and managed to fire them quite easily this time. Ever was not a stranger in that group.

"Listen, kid. Of course you'd have to lie sometimes to get the job or remain in one to say. I only needed the money, anyway. I'll be able to find a different workplace." The woman found her luggage and started packing, getting a sympathic smile from the blond. They may not have been friends- well, they never really established that; they may not have known each other for that long, there is a sense of gratitude in Lucy that longed for Ever's presence as a thank you.

Ever noticed the downing aura from the niece, so as a goodbye, she (hesitantly) patted her twice on the head. "You did good." She cleared her throat before running off, out of the bar.

Cana shakes her head at the fired employee and closed the door shut, paying attention to her niece now. "Now that's taken care of, what else is there to resolve now?"

"Oh, right- uhm, I kind of slept over at a friend's place when I ran away from Natsu's. . .my stuff are still in their room."

"OK, then. Let's go get it."

"Ah, but they'd be in an instant shock, knowing I've gone home. Actually, I haven't been treating them like real friends of mine, so I should handle it myself. Do you trust me?"