12: My Future

Natsu felt a bit embarrassed, as much as he was feeling nervous of what to say to the young girl in front of him, he intentionally came, but for no reason at all. He wanted to talk and get to know her better for he was fascinated at the amount of pressure she could handle-school, along with having a job at a bar like this, but had no idea how to ask her, afraid he might be misinterpreted.

"So, you're a photographer, right?"

He was forced out of his trance when she spoke. "Ah, yes, yes. I saw you listening well to my speech earlier. Thank you, by the way, for that. Students rarely listen, but I feel calmer now that I know someone did."

She shrugged, "I'm not a very good listener. I tend to get distracted, but I was interested in your topic and I was astounded when I found out you were actually a photographer."

"Oh, really?" Natsu chuckles, resting his head on one arm placed on top of the table. "Are you, perhaps, interested in photography, as well?"

Lucy signalled him with her fingers, "Um, sometimes I am."

"Oh?" Natsu crossed his legs as he drank his glass. "tell me, what do you plan to work as once you graduate?"

She bit her lip nervously, her fingers tapping on top of the table. "I plan to become a writer."

He was a bit taken aback, widening his eyes at the younger. "Really? Wow."

"What's with that reaction? You sound like...I don't fit being one in the future."

He shook his head quickly, gesturing her in addition, "No, no, don't misunderstand. I was a bit taken aback. Honestly, I would've never had thought you'd be interested in writing. After all, I rarely see students who want to pursue writing, so what I'm trying to say is-that's great to hear."

Lucy found herself smiling at Natsu, figuring this was her first time being comfortable with a man, and she was extremely grateful to have met someone like him for a change. "Thanks."

Natsu couldn't help but smile along with hers. He looked up to check the time, but it somewhat made Lucy look at it as well, making her a bit uncomfortable and conscious.

am i boring him? should i go ahead?

With Lucy thinking it was time for him to go, she stood up from the stool and gestured the man she was about to go to bed. "It just seems like you need to head home, too."

He wasn't bored at all. In fact, he wanted to chat longer. Unfortunately, he was just naturally conscious when it comes to keeping track of time, taking note if everything he does in a day. It came out as a misunderstanding to the teen, but if he were to convince her he wasn't, she might get ideas. So, clearing his throat, he stood up as well, handing out his hand, "I see. Well, I best be off. Good night?"

Lucy gladly accepted and shook his hand with her signature smile. "Good night, sir."

💄

Unexpectedly, Cana barged into Lucy's room, almost making the blonde jump out of fear. She has never been barged into before-especially by Cana.

"What the hell was that?"

Lucy felt more tensed up the way Cana used her tone angrily in her question. "W-What do you mean?"

Cana turned around for a moment, muttering something under her breath before she faced Lucy again, this time, with a calmer approach. Careful not to startle the blonde, she sat beside her and looked into her eyes, "Was that it? The man you're talking about?"

Being bombarded with this sudden situation, she couldn't possibly know how or what to reply to her aunt. "..m-maybe, but I still don't know. I'm not quite sure, but ever since the day I met him, I felt calmer interacting with a man like him. It's a first for me and this is huge."

The brunette nodded, smacking her lips together. "I understand." she pats the blonde's head before stretching out her arms to let her be hugged by Lucy.

"I just hope this 'experiment' of yours won't turn your condition into something worse, okay?"

Of all the times Cana and Lucy talked regarding her condition, this was surely the best one yet, making Lucy smile and feel giddy inside. "It won't."

💄

The next day

Lucy came in a bit earlier than usual, surprising her professor who had always seemed to discriminate her when it came to getting to school on time.

"Good morning, Ms. Heartfilia."

The blonde placed her notebook on top of the table, a pen by her side and her eyes trying to look away from the window to concentrate on her classes instead.

But how could she?

She may be studying in this school, and she knows her grades are just requirements for her to graduate, get a diploma and get the job she wants; however it also didn't matter to her. She wanted to become a writer right on the spot-she had already decided she's going to write her first manuscript before she turns 20, which gives her 2 years of process.

The class went on quicker than she had expected. They started to stand up one by one, leaving the room to go to the next.

The moment Lucy stepped out of the classroom, she almost fell on her back, startled to be greeted by Levy and Laki. "Oh-"

Levy held the blonde by her arm, worriedly staring into her eyes to see if she was alright. She managed to breathe easily when she did. "Thank goodness. You looked like you just saw a ghost."

"Yes, well, that ghost would be both of you. You two startled me, how did you know my class?"

Lucy decided to walk with both of them to her next class. "Well, our class is in your room, and we just happened to have bumped into eafu other, is all." Laki replied.

"Coincidentally." Levy added as she nodded, waiting for Lucy's reaction.

Lucy sighs, waving a hand to both of them as she was going into her room. "Alright. Um, see you guys later?"