Chapter Fifteen

Not So Bad After All
Book One
Chapter Fifteen
Rose's Pov
_________________

Exhausted, I hung up my apron in the back and clocked out. "Night Josh," I shouted to my friend and coworker.

Josh was Lorie's younger brother and owns half of the Diner. He's the same age as my brother Jason and is in college. Working with him is always fun. He always seemed to turn my bad days into good ones just by making me laugh the whole day.

"See ya, Monday kid. Text me and let me know if you are working on Monday. I'll come pick you up," He shouted back from the backroom.

"Thanks, I'll let you know."

With a smile plastered onto my face, I put my jacket on, grabbed my bookbag, and left. I had decided that I wasn't going to hang out with Ryan tonight. I didn't feel like arguing and I knew that I'd have some choice words for him and we'd end up ruining everyone's night.

I was getting ready to start my long and unavoidable journey home but I stopped in my tracks when I recognized the black Lexus parked in the front of the diner. The window rolled down revealing Jayden.

"You gonna get in or just stare at me?" Were his friendly words.

"You dropped me off and now you're picking me up?" I folded my arms and stared at him suspiciously. "Who are you and what have you done with Jayden?"

He rolled his eyes. "Get in the car, Rose."

Okay but this is weird, I pondered to myself.

I got in the car and closed the door. He didn't say anything, so I didn't say anything, but I couldn't help but to stare at him suspiciously.

"Stop staring at me. It's weird," He blurted.

"What's up with you?"

"What are you talking about?"

I know that he knows exactly what I'm talking about. "Why are you being nice to me? You dropped me off and now you're picking me up? Thought you hated me?"

"Would you rather walk?" He cocked an eyebrow as he peered over at me.

Not gonna lie, that look he gave me was kind of... sexy.

Now, I think that I need my head checked...

I shrugged. "Guess not," especially not at night.

"Okay then. Besides, your so-called boyfriend wasn't going to come to get you and I can tell that Sky was about to go off on him. We would've been waiting forever on you if you walked and I'm not impatient," He explained. "Oh, and by the way, I do hate you. But I figured since you've been helping me keep my grades up lately, it wouldn't hurt to be a little nice."

Gee thanks I guess...

"If that's your way of saying thank you. Your welcome," I rolled my eyes.

"It's dark as fuck over here. You walk home in the dark like this every night?"

"Just about."

"Besides what Jason and I did to you when we were kids, I can understand why you're afraid of the dark now."

"Are you scared right now?" I asked him teasingly.

He gave me an, as if face and said, "Pf, yeah right. Don't get it twisted. I'm not afraid of anything."

I smirked at him knowingly and nodded. "Mhm. Sure."

"You don't believe me?"

"No, I do. Sure." I was being sarcastic.

"Your lying," He gave me a flat look.

I laughed at that, "Yeah, I am."

He chuckled a little to himself and shook his head.

A few minutes later we were parked in front of my house. I grabbed my bag and said, "Thanks for the rides. See you Monday."

"Wait, you're not coming?" He asked confused.

"Nope."

"Why?"

"Ryan, my so-called boyfriend, has stood me up for the last time. This was supposed to be a date night and he didn't even want to pick me up, so he sent you? Someone who hates me. Once again he has let me down. So I'm not in the mood to be around him right now. So I'm going to take a long bath, get a shit load of snacks that I'm really not supposed to be eating, lock myself in my room and watch Being Human until I fall asleep. You, Ryan, Sky, Brandon, and whoever else, can go have a grand ole time, without me. See ya."

He pulled me back in the car by my sweater and said, "I don't think so. That wasn't the plan. Your gonna go in there, shower quickly because you smell like cheese fries, get dressed, do whatever else it is that you females do, and get back in this car so I can take you to your boyfriend and your best friend. I have a date waiting for me too, so let's make this quick."

I thought it was pretty funny that he thought I was actually going to listen to him, "Sure. I'll be quick," I nodded.

"You're lying again." He gave me another flat look.

"No..." I averted my eyes.

"If you go in there and don't come out, I will come in there and personally carry you out. You know I'll do it," He threatened.

I know he isn't playing. He used to drag me around the house when we were kids. He and Jason thought that was so funny. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. Fine. Wait here."

"I'm very impatient, Rose!" He shouted to me as I unlocked the front door to my house.

Shut up... I mentally told him.

I showered quickly and dressed. I put some eyeliner and mascara on and I was ready to go. I didn't bother doing anything special with my hair. It was straightened already, so I just took it out of its ponytail and gently ran my fingers through the long strands. Satisfied with whatever direction my hair decided to lay, I was finished getting ready. I put very little effort into how I looked tonight just because I'm not in the mood. I would much rather stay home.

Of course, my parents asked me where I was going and I told them couples night. My dad didn't really want me to go simply because he doesn't like Ryan but he didn't try to stop me either. My mom just told me to be safe, like always.

Jayden was still waiting outside for me and I hopped in his passenger seat and watched him as he spoke to someone on the phone.

"Yeah, I'm on my way," He said. "Right... Okay bye."

"Your girlfriend misses you already?" I teased.

He smirked, his face saying, very funny. "Don't insult me like that."

I chuckled and Jayden drove off. I turned the radio on and the song, What they want by Russ, was playing.

"This is my song!" I said excitedly.

"Eh, it's alright," He shrugged.

"What? Your crazy!"

I turned the volume up loud. The bass sounded amazing which made the song sound better. I just sang along to it and danced not caring that Jayden was laughing at me. I poked him in the shoulder a few times making lighten up a bit. He eventually started to nod his head to the song.

I had to find something to be positive about, it may as well be music.