Chapter Twenty Five

Not So Bad After All
Book One
Chapter Twenty Five
Rose's Pov

__________________

"Oh Hi, love. Good to see you again," Mom said to Jayden as she invited him in.

"Thanks, it's always good to see you," He replied and I rolled my eyes.

He's such a suck-up. At least my parents like him... They couldn't stand Ryan. The first time Ryan met my father he gave him dap and said, "What's up big homie?" And I'm pretty sure he was flirting with my mom at some point... Like can you please stop? She's twice your age and she's my mother for crying out loud!

"You to hun," Mom smiled. "Rose is right here."

"Thanks."

I wish she would hurry up and close the door! It's cold! Damn December weather...

"Hey," He nodded to me.

For some reason, he did not like wearing heavy jackets. I know what I'm getting him for Christmas...

I smiled, "Hey."

He took his leather jacket off and set it down on the couch next to me.

"Alright, you guys are good? I'm going to go lay down," Mom said.

"Your taking a nap?" I questioned her.

"I'm tired and I don't feel well," She yawned. "If your father calls, tell him that I'm asleep and not to wake me unless it's important."

She walked off upstairs and shut her bedroom door. I know the weather is pretty shitty and it's dark outside at four o'clock in the evening but Mom doesn't take naps. That's not like her at all.

"What're you thinking about?" Jay asked because I was staring off into space.

"Mom. She's been acting strange lately."

"How so?" He asked flicking threw the tv channels.

I closed my book and sat it down on the coffee table. "She's been really tired, she doesn't feel like cooking, she hasn't been wanting to go to work, she hasn't even been eating that much lately..."

"I'm sure she's okay. She's probably just exhausted. Remember that as we get older so do our parents. They're gonna go through changes," He rubbed my back comfortingly. "It happens, Rose. Even I get like that every once in a while... I'm sure everything's fine."

I smiled at him and at how sweet he was being. It amazed me that we are even friends now. It made me happy.

I sighed, "Your probably right. I shouldn't read too much into it."

I know how I am. I'll worry about something until it drives me crazy...

Just let it go, Rose...

Then I thought of something, "Hey can I ask you something?"

He continued to channel surf, "Sure."

"Where do you go? When you disappear all day?" I asked. "A friend's house? A girl's house...?"

He stared at me for a moment and then a smirk stained his face, "Are you asking me if I have a girlfriend?"

I gave him a flat look. "You? Have a girlfriend? I'm asking you if you have a plaything... Is that where you disappear to?" I felt weird asking him that but I was curious and closed mouths don't get fed.

He chuckled, "Why? Would that be a problem for you?"

I averted my eyes from him and shrugged, "I guess not."

"Rose," He gained my attention. "I do not have a plaything. I haven't had any... play... in a very long time... or so it feels."

I couldn't even hide my smile. I tried to though... Maybe it's selfish of me, but I didn't want him to give his attention to any other female. I know that's not realistic but that's how I felt.

"Oh..." I nodded. "I mean it's fine if you do. I was just asking... Don't forget to share some of your time with me."

"Am I sensing a little jealousy, of a none existent girl?"

"No," I answered too quickly. "I'm not jealous... I just think that as your friend, I should know these things."

"Friend?" He laughed as if to say, as if.

I'm not gonna pretend like that didn't hurt my feelings. I honestly did think that we were friends now. He said so himself, so what the hell? Is he taking that back now?

We don't argue like we used to anymore. We're always together. He takes me to and picks me up from work daily. He pays for my lunch at school sometimes. Hell, he even has dinner with us at least twice a week now... He's even grown on Dad a little. They play video games together in Dads man cave in the basement...

If this isn't a friendship, then I don't know what is...

"Rose, don't be ridiculous," He smirked. "You're my best friend."

"I am?"

Excuse me while I pick my face up off the floor.

"Of course... Do you see me giving anybody else my time, besides coach?"

I smiled, "I guess not."

"Right," He nodded. "Now come here."

He held his arms open for me and I happily embraced him. I smiled when he didn't hesitate to hug me back. I kind of got the feeling that he didn't want to let go so I just stayed there in his arms a while longer. Content.

"I go to my other house," He admitted.

"Your other house?"

"The one I throw parties at. The one you were drunk at."

I chuckled, "If my memory serves me right, you were drunk too."

"Of course I was. Not as much as you were but yeah... But it was a goodnight," He smirked at the memory. "That was the first time you and I danced together."

I was hoping he wouldn't bring that up!

I laughed awkwardly. "The only time we've danced together and you just had to bring that up."

"The first of many, I hope," He said. "I had no idea you were so... promiscuous."

"That's the drunk, carefree me. I have to keep her on a leash."

"There's nothing wrong with being carefree and promiscuous. If you have to be that way around anyone, I'd much rather it be me than anyone else."

He was obviously very serious about that. There was no trace of amusement in his voice or on his face when I looked up to meet his gaze. Oddly enough, I agreed with him... Other than Sky, I definitely didn't trust anyone else, to let myself go around them like that.

"Wouldn't mind going to a good party. My birthday is coming up in a few days. Maybe I'll throw one," He said.

"Wait your birthday is in a few days? When?"

"On the sixteenth."

So let's throw a party then!

"Okay." I smiled and sat up straighter, now excited to plan a party.

The sixteenth is literally like a week or so before Christmas. So I have a week to plan his party! What are the odds that his birthday lands on a Friday? Mine lands on a Friday this year too...

I picked my book up again and rested my head on Jayden's lap. He rubbed my head while I read and he watched The Avengers.

We sat that way for a long time until my eyes got heavy and I drifted off to sleep.