Malcolm Pace/Hephaestus

"Ouch! You- dammit!" I cursed out loud, surprising several people around me. That me, Malcolm Pace, second in command of Athena's cabin was cursing, it was an event itself.

"Malcolm, there's no need to yell, you know..." The soft and kind of harsh voice of my girlfriend reached my ears. It was low enough to know I was in troubles, but also loud enough to hear her concern. I sighed and walked away from the crowd that was staring at me and into the Infirmary, Nyssa at my heels "Malcolm, what happened?" she asked me, once I had slowed down and faced her.

"Nothing, I just burnt myself twice in the same spot..." I admitted. I didn't care to look like if I was a whining baby at the moment, my hand was hot and I think I might have a burn. Nyssa softened her frown and hugged my shoulders, understanding that no one was immune to fire. She could stand it better than me, but she could get hurt as well.

"Let me get Kayla, so she can help you, alright?" Just like if she was being summoned- technically, she wasn't -Kayla appeared and bandaged my hand, turning me into a one-handed person for a few days. The good part was it will heal, as it wasn't deep. The bad part was that it was my writing hand "Better?"

"I'll be... Sorry I yelled at the forgery..." I apologized, knowing it was wring. My father could have a fit if he finds out I was cursing around.

"Mal, there's nothing wrong with cursing once in a while..." Nyssa comforted me "Now, if you start swearing like a sailor, I should start to worry" she joked, kissing my cheek. I smiled at her, before making a very important question.

"Nyssa, not because I'm crap about it... but you have an arts and crafts class in the forgery if half- if not, the entire class -cannot control the fire?" I wondered, making her sigh and sit next to me.

"It's- it was one of the few things we have of Beckendorf" I bit my tongue, upset at myself. Of course, how could I been so stupid about it? I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, not saying anything "But, you're right... It's a useless class-"

"No, Ny..." I stopped her, not wanting to put words in my mouth that I didn't say. I could carry the blame if I did and even say them in front of cabin 9, but I won't make everyone believe it was my fault. Besides, I didn't want Nyssa to think I was heartless "I was wondering because I don't remember being taught security procedures or anything about it..." I recognized. Nyssa stared at me, blinking.

"Excuse me?"

"Ny, I get that we have to be careful around the fire and stuff... But I doubt half the kids in Camp understand it. And, when you guys pull stunts like holding hot things with bare hands..."

"...someone else could try it as well..." she completed my line of thoughts, looking worried "Oh, Hephaestus... Are we being reckless?"

"No, I just think that you guys don't realize it and you're already used to it..." I pointed out "I mean, look at Leo! He can light up like a mutant and everyone cheers when he pulls the stunt!" Nyssa's face turned into a horror one and I was feeling bad about it.

"I need to have serious words with Leo, excuse me" After saying so, she got up and walked away, leaving me wondering if I did the right thing.

"Why would she blame you for, kid?" I turned my neck so fast, it cracked. I rubbed it while watching at the man standing behind me. He reminded me a little of Chiron, with his curly brown hair and matching beard. The difference was that this man wasn't on a wheel chair, he was standing on his two legs, but they got some kind of contraption that helped him stand. He was wearing a leather apron and his beard had little fires around, putting themselves out immediately.

I stopped staring at him and looked at the point where Nyssa took off. I could not believe I was gonna have this conversation...

"Well, for starters, I almost speak ill of Beckendorf..." I began, not wanting to meet the man's eyes. I feared to know what I could find there "And, I kind of went against Leo and stuff..."

"That last one is a character by himself, don't worry..." he replied. We could hear the shouting coming from the woods, very aware that Bunker Nine was Leo's refuge "I believe he wants to be the center of attention..."

"I have siblings to look after..." I blurted out, feeling the pride filling me. The man next to me chuckled.

"Oh, Athena and her pride... Kid, let me tell you, you do a Hades of a job when they surface..." Was that an insult or a complement? I don't wanna know... "But, as you can see, my kids are not exactly social butterflies- that's the correct term, right?" I nodded, agreeing with him "So, I guess they talk through their abilities..."

"What if they take it far one day? I don't think is something we all wanna see..." I felt a hand on my shoulder and dared to see his eyes. The fire was still there, it was never going to leave. But it was somehow down and calm, like if it was in a perfect condition to roast marshmallows.

"Well, I guess we're lucky to have kids like you to keep us on the ground..." Without saying more, he got up and walked back, making me close my eyes and look away while he flashed out. Seconds later, I was thinking about a new angle of his words.

Was he giving me permission to date Nyssa? Or I was imagining it?

----

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SilverHuntresses/posts/