Chapter 1

La Douleur Exquise
(n.) the heart-wrenching pain of wanting the affection of someone unattainable.

Luke's POV

Normal.
        A word commonly used throughout humanity. The average usage as of now would be-well I don't quite know (I'd have to be amazing at tracking to know). The Oxford dictionary defines normal as an (adj) 1. Conforming to standard; usual, typical or expected. 'normal working hours' 1.1 (of a person) free from physical or mental disorders. 'until her accident Louise had been a perfectly normal girl' 2. technical (of a line, ray or other linear feature) intersecting a given line or surface at right angles. 'a single plane of symmetry with a diad axis normal to it.'

You might be asking 'what does it have to do with anything? What does it have to do with this book?' And many other questions along those lines, but calm down, the definition does have some sort of relativity as of now because my day was going to be normal, average and any other synonyms you could think of-well that was until today-well that's what I thought at least.

I woke up to the sound of music filling my to and I can tell you I certainly did not miss this sound. The tones of layered synthetics Apple had created and called a ringtone was horrific. Sure, I may be blowing this out of proportion but, when you've had the same alarm tone for 6 or so years you get tired of it.

So why not change it right?

Well I guess it was sheer laziness. I could not be bothered in simple terms. After 6 or so years I had just grown to hate it and I didn't want to ruin other ring tones just like I had with this one.

Anyway, moving away from my point on stupid ringtones. Today was school. The first day of my last year in the hell hole or what many people call it Kingston High School. The most prestigious and highest ranked secondary school in the whole of England and world blah blah blah. Who gives a fuck?

You give a fuck Luke.

Oh yeh, I do. I actually care about school-well the education part not any other part. Well, there are the girls. They're not too bad, the ones of age are decent and the ones skimming of age are willing to give up anything. Decent for a man like myself.

You see, before you make any vulgar opinions of me being some sort of man whore, I was lonely and bored. Sure that wasn't an excuse to toy with helpless girls but, when you're rich and haven't found your soulmate yet what else can you do?

I sighed, I should be getting about my day. I rubbed my eyes, groaning as beams of sunlight hit my face. I rolled over and forced myself to sit up, my feet touching the plush carpeted floor.

My life wasn't so bad. Sure, I was an above average student, who was rich and succumbing to his problems of anxiety and depression along with the stress of his parents to which he reflects on by having sex with more girls than-okay this was a bit too far. A bit too far into the story of my life that people did not need to know.

Yes, oh goody the rich boy has mental health issues. The plot thickens. I rolled my eyes at the thought and brushed my teeth and got into the shower.

Enough about my stupid problems, it's sickening. Probably as sickening as the day ahead of me. I made a noise of disgust as I lathered shampoo into my hair and rinsed it out. You know? The normal stuff you do in the shower.