Chapter 53

Luke's POV

The ringing of my phone pierced the empty silence of my room. I glimpsed at the screen seeing Kelsey's face. I sighed loudly, declining the call as I forced myself to go back to studying. There was another call, from my personal phone and it was her again. And another, and another-this went one for the next 10 minutes until it finally stopped.

I stared at the ceiling and then the other walls, I had trapped myself in my room for the last few days and I knew this wasn't making anything better but, I couldn't stand being near anyone. I didn't want to be near anyone.

I knew this was worsening the healing process but, if I had to confess I was afraid. I was afraid that I would hurt them like I hurt Kelsey again. I was afraid that if I came to a close proximity of my family members or friends I would ruin our relationship. Perhaps, I should have told someone what I was feeling but, could I really? It was a rather stupid thing because I started feeling like a burden again. I wasn't having any good days and people were starting to notice, my parents were trying so hard to comfort me and my friends were making the utmost effort but, nothing was working for me.

Another ring pierced through the deadly silent air. I checked my phones, finding it was my business phone. "Luke Brooks speaking." I answered.

"Luke it's me-"

Her familiar voice made the hairs on arms rise and my stomach churn, "Kelsey, why are you calling me on this phone? I hope you're aware this is strictly business."

"You wouldn't answer me on your other phone." I had to give her that point for persistence. She huffed on the other end of the line, "do you want to go out?"

"Where?" I numbered sceptically, why was I considering this?

"The movies."

"Why?"

"Because you've always taken me out and I wanted to take you out this time." Oh, she's still trying to save our relationship. This girl is very persistent and determined isn't she?

"Kelsey, I enjoyed taking you out. You don't have to take me out as you say." Could I really bare sitting in a room with her for that long? Was there any point of trying to save this relationship anymore like she was? My conflicted feelings were taking a toll on my health and my ability to think properly.

"Luke let me for once!" She counter argued.

I sighed, defeated, "Fine I'll pick you up."

"No I'll pick you up! I passed my drivers test." Oh god, a new driver-that means she may kill me.

"I'll drive to your house and you can drive my car okay? And congratulations."

"But your car-"

"I've got many more," I dismissed her answer and all of this will be yours anyway in a a few years. What? What did I just say? Are those icky bicky feelings for Kelsey arising again? Oh not again. Blasted! This wasn't meant to happen. I was meant to die alone-did I really want that? No. No one wanted to die alone. I wanted her. No I don't want her. What about her grandmother said? She always wanted me to find love. I ran a hand through my hair roughly, annoyed at my feelings. Why can't they just fucking stop?!

•••
I rolled up at her house and walked towards her front door, I was about to knock but, the door swung open before I could. I feasted my eyes upon her outfit as per usual, her firey orange crop top fitted nicely with her blue jeans. "You look nice." I spoke. Nice? Really Luke? Out of all the adjectives you could call her you used nice?

"You think? I'm trying out a new style." She twirled around making me laugh softly.

I dangled my keys in the air, "be careful with one of my children." I spoke seriously making her laugh.