Chapter 26

Luke's POV

Why the fuck was I in school?

I sighed, holding my head in my hands as I sat on my usual bench, catching a refreshing breath of oxygen, trying to balance myself for the last two periods of the day. People had been coming up to me all day asking about my well-being and I had been bombarded with questions all day and I know I sounded like an absolute brat, but couldn't they just leave me alone?

I nearly died and I'm still grasping onto the fact that I nearly died unintentionally and Kelsey has a fucking boyfriend that isn't me. What the fuck? She has a boyfriend that isn't me. Who the hell is this ass?! And how is he better than me. I'm Luke-maybe that's why. You're you. But she has a boyfriend! God, I sound like a whiny teenage girl. I huffed, trying to grasp onto reality and the fact that she has a damn boyfriend once again. What an absolute bother.

I went off a tangent I really did then. I inhaled a short breath. "Luke-"

"I'm fine. I was fine for a few hours. Okay? I'm fine. I'm not dead. Leave me alone please!" I didn't even bother to look up or at them. Instead, a girl caught my eye and admired her physique.

"Lu, what the fuck?" I heard Kris' voice harsher than before.

"Did you even go to a hospital?" Alex's honey-coated voice dripped from her mouth. I glanced up at her and she smiled at me softly as if she cared for me and not just my dick. "You really shouldn't be here." She sounded dismayed. I blinked a few times, looking at her. I was gone for Christmas break...what the hell happened?

"More or less," I answered without a thought.

"I cannot believe you did what you did!" Francis murmured.

"It wasn't my fault." I shrugged, my voice monotone and plain. I lacked feeling and emotions that didn't consist of pain, anger and hatred.

"You nearly died." Caitlin frowned.

"Well, I didn't." I snapped back, losing my cool. I came out here to be calm and everyone was overwhelming me and being overwhelmed hurt my head in the most simple terms.

"Luke you were submerged in water for God knows how long, your knuckles were broken and bleeding, lungs filled with water and you most likely went into panic mode state."

"We get it, Francis," I growled under my breath but was interrupted when two people approached our table almost like strangers.

Kelsey paused and smiled slowly at us, "Uhm this is Kaden, my boyfriend. I hope you don't mind-"

"Yeh sure." Francis nodded and then turned back to me. "You're an absolute fucking idiot." He turned back to Kaden, "Hey man."

Kaden from the football team? Really?! KADEN FROM THE FOOTBALL TEAM?! Did she drop me for Kaden? Now my head really hurt. What the hell was going on? I couldn't seem to grasp anything. She was dating him? Him? Out of all people? Him? I blinked a few times and thought I might pass out. Maybe this was an awful dream and (or) God hated me. I'm just so distraught, shocked and angered I think...? I don't even understand what I'm feeling.

"Are you okay Luke?" I heard Alex bring me back to reality.

I rolled my eyes when she asked me that question. Do you know the number of people that have asked me that question just today? A lot of damn people and then the truthful answer is I'm not alright. I'm not doing okay. I'm shit but, I'm really not going to tell you that because I'm Luke Brooks and everything is calm around me and I'm calm, cool and collected all the time. I have to be. All the time.

"Yes, just thinking."

"What're the bandages man?" Kaden asked me.

"Bleeding knuckles." I nodded slowly, looking at my bandaged hands.