Chapter 43

Luke's POV

The next day rolled around and I let out a small breath, trying to hold on to the little fragments of my life that I still was in control of. I sat on our bench during our lunch break and forced a smile to the others. I glanced over every member and my eyes set on Alex, whose gaze burned into me. My tired eyes held her gaze and she smiled coyly at me.

My friends engaged in conversations whilst I idly listened. "Why don't you take me out?" Alex asked me directly, ignoring the rest of the group.

"We're not in a relationship Alex, I don't have to take you anywhere."

"But I thought-" I cut her off as she moved to sit next to me. I pulled her towards me.

"We used to be friends with benefits." I whispered to her. "But if you're considering to leave feelings behind and carry on then-"

"Oh." She frowned.

"You got yourself into it the whole agreement. I can find another if you want to say no now."

"No it's okay!" She spoke quickly.

"Good." I pushed her off me.

The others looked at us confused. "What?" Alex snapped at them. "How come your tutoring Kelsey but you won't tutor me? I've been asking you for months."

"I don't run a bloody tutor business Alex." I spoke spitefully, "Kelsey is my father's protégé and if she wants to become anything she'll have to be up to my father's standard and the hierarchy's standards. They once tore her to shreds but not again. I'd rather not have her humiliated also."

"Why haven't I met your parents?" She fired questions at me.

I was taken aback for a moment but then maintained my posture, "Because I simply don't want them to meet you." I spoke bluntly.

"Why?!" Alex demanded, brushing her hair behind her shoulder.

I ran a hand through my hair, "I've explained this to you once before. I don't want you to meet my parents because you're not up to their standard okay? Save yourself the humiliation. My parents are important people and what they say is the final word. If they don't like a girl in my life then I get rid of her. My family's images is important Alex and you are not what they would want." I paused, thinking of a way to sweeten the blow, "I don't want them to ruin you like they have with any other girl they've met okay?"

"I can take it!"

"You're pathetic Alex!" I slammed my hand down annoyed, "We. Are. Nothing." I seethed. "Stop asking me to take you out. To spoil you. To meet my parents. I'm not your sugar daddy and you're not my girlfriend. We're just friends with benefits okay?! Get it through your thick skull. I don't date people!" I spat, suddenly so annoyed and irritated.

Fresh tears pricked her eyes and the anger in me dialled down. "You're an asshole." She spoke honestly and I think that was the first time she realised who I really was. The real Luke. The monster that consistently hurt the people around him.

"And you crossed the line with feelings!" I retorted.

"I should've listened to everyone! You're just a fucking asshole!"

"You've only just realised!" My tone stayed monotone and I shrugged nonchalantly. Tears rolled down her cheeks. "Stop crying." I said my voice softer than before and she still cried, "Stop crying." I demanded. "This is not a breakup so, stop crying."

"It's a human emotion which you can't stop asshole. You wouldn't know though." She wiped her tears away.

I rolled my eyes at her behaviour. I pulled out my wallet and set down cash in front of her, "Look I apologise whatever. Here."