Thirty Nine

POV: Minji
"I was wrong to think that my feelings for him would just magically disappear, because they only grew. No matter how many times I tried to forget about him, they always came back."

"What did you do about it?"

"I told him. I couldn't live knowing that I was hiding romantic feelings for my own best friend, so I simply told him. I poured out all of my feelings and asked him out."

"What'd he say?"

He was asking a whole load of questions, wasn't he?

"He said that he liked me back. To this day, I still don't know whether he genuinely had feelings for me, or that he just didn't want to reject me. Either way, the relationship didn't exactly work and it was something that I regret doing, definitely. We were better off staying best friends, anyway. Now, I see that it wasn't worth risking a good friendship for an unstable relationship."

"What happened with him?"

"We went out for a good few months, I'd say. Around half a year, if I remember correctly. Ha, even when I was with Hoseok, I still had a crush on you, I have to admit that. I know it was wrong to like someone else when you were in a relationship, but I couldn't help it. Feelings are feelings and I can't change what I feel for who. It was a bit shit, really. To me, it felt like nothing was working out for me, and so I sorta just gave up."

"How did you... how did you two break up, if you don't mind me asking?" his voice softened.

"He came out to me," I said straightforwardly. "He sat me down in a café and talked to me about stuff, and then he said that he had to tell me something very important. He begged me to not be angry or upset, which of course, I couldn't have been.

He simply said 'I'm so sorry Minnie, but I've somehow realised my place in life now and I'm finally accepting the fact that I am gay, and I like boys, so therefore I cannot be with you anymore'.

Those were his exact words... I remember them so clearly, the way his voice quivered when he spoke, as if he was on the verge of tears. He apologised to me several times, even though I told him not to, and that it was alright.

I knew that I couldn't fall for someone I can't have, because I knew it would just hurt me, so I stopped. When my feelings for Hoseok decreased, my feelings for you had somehow increased drastically instead."