Chapter 51

Chapter 51

~A/N : So, nobody QUITE got the correct answer to why Alice's mother died. The closest one was a bit too vague for me to count it. I'm dedicating this chapter to yoloswagster1000, who tried over and over again to guess the answer, for effort~

Guess you'll have to wait and see what the reason was (your guesses sounded a lot cooler than what really happened though... :x )

Sorry for the late update... I decided to combine the original Chapter 51 with Chapter 52.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I dug through my stuff, looking for that tiny vial of golden liquid. Where did I put that thing?

Lysa stared at me the entire time, as if mocking my organization skills. I grabbed one of my bras and chucked it at her face. She screeched as it hit her and got stuck, then flew around the room wildly, half blinded by the fabric. She smashed into walls and knocked books off of Hermione's shelf.

She landed on top of the shelf and lied there, dazed from all wall head-butts. I looked up at her before rolling my eyes. A glitter of gold caught my eye. My eyes widened as I realized that Hermione had hidden my Felix Felicis on top of her bookshelf. Lysa rolled around, almost knocking the delicate vial off the shelf.

"No no! Don't move!" I said in fear of Lysa breaking the vial. She glared at me through her one eye that wasn't covered by my bra.

"Leave the potion alone?" I begged, "I'll give you anything you want! You like chocolate frogs?"

I flinched every time Lysa moved. I looked over to the case of chocolate frogs and back at Lysa.

I vaguely heard the sound of a dim click, sort of like a door opening, but that wasn't important compared to the Felix Felicis.

"How much? I just want one favor!" I said as I looked up at my owl, "Listen to me before I get rough with you." I slowly reached for my wand.

"I didn't know you were in to disgusting stuff like that..." Ginny said in horror as she looked from me to my owl with my bra on its face.

"What?" I said in complete confusion. In to what?

Ginny simply made a huge weirded out frown and walked backwards slowly. She retraced her steps back out the door like a robot with that horrified expression frozen on her face. I sat on the floor in confusion for a few moments before it finally hit me.

"GINNY! I'M NOT INTO BEASTIALITY!" I screamed out the door. I grabbed my wand and shot a spell at Lysa in annoyance. She screeched as she was lifted into the air and smashed into the ceiling. I jumped up and grabbed the Felix Felicis off the shelf.

I put it safetly into my robe pocket and walked out the door. I considered running after Ginny to explain how I wasn't some sort of creep who dressed their pets up then said sexual phrases to them, but I had lost track of time looking for the Felix Felicis and couldn't afford to be late. I quickly made my way out the portrait hole and towards the Room of Requirement. Somewhere in my mind, I vaguely remembered that I had forgotten to undo the spell pinning Lysa to the ceiling, but got distracted and forgot again.

Since I didn't know what time it was, I could only run and hope that I made it to the Room of Requirement before they came.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Draco!" I said, panting as I entered the Room of Requirement. He looked at me in surprise.

"What are you doing here?" He hissed at me, "You have to leave! It's almost time!" He started to push me away towards the door.

"Drink this!" I said, pushing the Felix Felicis at him. He glanced at it before pushing it back to me.

"No, you drink it," He said. I looked at him in annoyance. I wasn't the one who was going on an impossible mission!

"Nothing's going to happen to me, just drink it," I said, pushing it at him again, "I have my necklace, remember? It'll protect me."

"How can you think it'll protect you after it keeps hurting you?" He hissed, obviously frustrated that I didn't just throw the thing away after it gave me that scar on my cheek, "It-"

I opened the vial of the golden liquid and poured it down his throat while he was talking.

"You better swallow that, or it'll end up wasted on the floor and neither of us would have gotten extra luck," I smiled innocently as I watched him nearly choke. He tried to glare at me, but only choked some more before somehow forcing the Felix Felicis down without spitting it out or losing any. I laughed as he finally recovered.

"Alice-" Draco started in an annoyed tone, but stopped abruptly. He turned around and stared at the Vanishing Cabinet. Some sort of noise was coming from it. A look of panic filled his face as he turned back to me and shoved me towards the exit. I snapped out of my frozen state and ran towards the exit, stumbling on various things on the floor. My heart was pounding as I made it out and shut the door quickly behind me.

I ran towards the Gryffindor common rooms, not knowing where else to go. As I ran, the severity of the situation finally hit me. Death Eaters were coming into Hogwarts. People were going to die. Nobody knew this was happening right now -- nobody knew there was a way into Hogwarts so easily. It would be a surprise attack.

I ran faster towards the common rooms. I had to tell my friends! They couldn't get hurt!

When I got in, I was gasping for breath. Hermione turned to look at me from her spot on the couch. The second she saw the expression on my face, she leapt up and whipped her wand out.

"You!" She screamed, "YOU DID SOMETHING! WHAT DID YOU DO?" I was too busy trying to breath to be respond to her. Gryffindors were rushing out from their rooms to see what was going on.

"Don't- Don't go-" I gasped out through breaths, "outside. Don't go-"

An expression of pure hatred flashed onto Hermione's face.

"You used it. YOU USED THE CURSED NECKLACE!" Hermione screeched as she quickly realized what had happened. She reached forward and snatched the necklace from me. She ripped it from my neck, snapping the chain. She shot a spell at me, but Ginny quickly blocked it.

"What are you doing, Hermione? Are you out of your mind?" Ginny exclaimed.

"You have no idea what she's done! SHE'S A TRAITOR! YOU HAVE NO IDEA!" Hermione shrieked at the top of her lungs as she flung the necklace across the room.

"Nothing Alice can do deserves being-" Ginny started, but was cut off as a loud voice boomed throughout the school.

"Hogwarts is under attack. Hogwarts is under attack! Death Eaters have entered the school. Students please-"

The rest of the announcement was drowned out by the screams of the Gryffindors. Some ran out the portrait hole, their wands ready, while others looked hesitant and as if they would rather hide. Ginny stared at me with an expression of both disbelief and sadness. Finally, she turned and ran off towards the portrait hole to follow the rest of the Gryffindors.

"Wait!" I called out, "Where's Harry?"

"He'll be fine. He went with Dumbledore for something earlier," she muttered quietly and left.

I sat, unable to move. Everyone thought I was a traitor. I couldn't tell them Dumbledore told me to do this. Nobody would believe me anyways. Ginny, Hermione, and Ron probably hated me now. Harry was with Dumbledore, who was about to be attacked by death eaters. I would probably never talk to Draco again. If he succeeded, Hogwarts would fall. If he failed, he and his family would all die.

The blood was drained out of my face as everything finally hit me. This was the end.

I slowly got up and walked out the portrait hole without really knowing where I was going. I didn't bother picking my necklace up off the floor. I had my wand to protect myself, but I was nowhere near high alert. Surprisingly, I never came upon any Death Eaters. They must have been busy distracting everyone else so Draco could kill Dumbledore without anyone stopping him.

Before I realized it, I found myself walking to the Astronomy Tower. How nice. The place where Draco and I first really stopped being enemies. I was dragging myself along and letting myself sink into despair and self-pity, when a familiar voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"If I don't do this, they'll kill my family! I have to do this! I have no choice!" the voice yelled while sobbing. Draco!

I stood where I was, unsure whether I should go there or not.

"They don't have to die," Dumbledore's voice said, "I can help you, Draco." Dumbledore sounded weak and tired. What had happened? And where was Harry? Ginny said they were together!

I walked closer so I could get a better view of what was happening. I peaked around the corner to see that Draco was pointing his wand at Dumbledore. Dumbledore's wand was on the floor several feet away. Draco had somehow managed to disarm him.

"I can help you," Dumbledore repeated. Draco's hand shook as he cried.

"No, you can't! You can't do anything!" Draco yelled. Dumbledore stood there, completely unaffected. However, Draco looked like he was going to explode and attack Dumbledore at any second, which Dumbledore quickly realized.

"I can save your parents, Draco," Dumbledore said as calmly as possible, "I can save her, too." Dumbledore then raised his hand and pointed straight at me. I jumped, not realizing he had seen me.

Draco looked panicked when he saw me. What was Dumbledore doing?! Stalling? Buying time? What could he possibly gain by doing this?

"What are you doing here?!" Draco hissed. I just stood where I was, feeling uneasy.

"Save me? What do you mean, save me?" I asked Dumbledore. Was I in danger? I walked out from where I was listening to their conversation. Dumbledore knew something was going to happen to me. Draco was now freaking out. He looked torn between finishing his task and asking Dumbledore for help. I couldn't understand what Dumbledore was trying to do. He could easily beat Draco without his wand. However, he looked so worn out and lifeless that it seemed like the wind could blow him over.

I froze when I heard voices coming towards us. To my surprise, Dumbledore looked more relieved than alarmed. Draco didn't notice this, as he was freaking out even more now.

"Hide, Alice! Hide!" Draco hissed. I looked around desperately. Hide? Where was I supposed to hide? There was nothing to hide behind! I gave up on finding a hiding spot and instead stood near Dumbledore to fight whoever was coming. I had no choice. I regretted not picking my compass necklace off the ground after Hermione threw it. That mistake could cost me my life.

Draco looked from Dumbledore to me frantically. Suddenly, he started laughing maniacally. Did he snap?

"You're funny, Alice! Did you really think I actually liked you?" He laughed hysterically, "You're so easy to trick... I only used you to fix the cabinet!"

I stared at him in disbelief. He couldn't have... He wasn't that kind of a person... He wouldn't take advantage of someone, right?

"Now that my mission will soon be complete, I have no use for you anymore, you filthy blood traitor," He laughed as he raised his wand.

Draco yelled some spell I didn't know and sent it shooting past me. I whipped my head around just in time to see the light hit the railing behind me and explode, completely destroying it.

"Draco what are you doing!" I turned back and looked at Draco in fear. My heart ached at the thought that all the time we had spent together was just an act. Tears streamed down my face.

I was going to die. I was going to die, and nobody would miss me. I had lost every one of my friends except Harry, who would very soon either be dead or hate me as well. I couldn't believe that I had lost my closest friends for a guy who didn't even love me. How stupid could I be?

Draco slowly walked towards me, chuckling as I cried. I looked down at the ground and watched his feet get closer to mine.

Before I realized what was happening, he stretched his arms out and shoved me backwards.

I screamed as I fell off the Astronomy Tower.