Chapter 20

I walked up to the gargoyle.

"Password." It said in it's low, rusty voice. Password? How the heck am I supposed to know the password!

"Snape is awesome?" I guessed. The gargoyle half-choked with laughter. "Die, Voldemort?" I tried again. The gargoyle was looking at me with a smirk. Could pieces of rock even have expressions?

"You will never guess the password," It chortled in its contorted voice. I glared at it in annoyance.

Dumbledore wanted to see me... Yet here I was, stuck outside his door near this stupid piece of rock. If only his door was actually visible, I could at least bang on it and yell. To me, this place was just all a dark mess. I couldn't make out where the wall ended and where the door started.

I slumped to the floor next to the gargoyle. Maybe somebody else would come see Dumbledore too. Someone with the password. Or maybe Dumbledore would get tired of waiting for me and leave. What was with the Acid Pops thing anyways? Did he want me to bring him some to bribe him out of expelling me?

I sat and waitied, hoping that inspiration would come to me and I'd magically guess the password.

"I rock?"

"No," The gargoyle laughed at me.

"I like food?"

"Nope."

~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked outside to see that it was noon now. Great. How many classes did I miss? Not that I was complaining. Dumbledore was probably going to be mad at me now for being so late. He called for me like two hours ago!

As I tapped the stone under the gargoyle, it eyed me with pure hatred. Well good. I hate you too, gargoyle.

"Why would I need to know that he likes Acid Pops..." I sighed to myself. I leapt as a doorway opened abruptly. Acid Pops? What kind of glutton makes a password like that? Wow Dumbledore loved candy!

I entered the doorway, suddenly feeling scared all over again. Dumbledore sat in a chair behind a wooden office table. The serious look on his face scared me to death. I felt the color drain out of my face.

I really was going to be expelled? But I haven't been that bad! The things I do are worth detention, not being expelled! Is there a rule at Hogwarts where you have a limit on how many detentions you can get before being expelled? I sure haven't ever read further than the number "1" on the rules before the boring words actually came.

I sat in the chair opposite of Dumbledore, eyes wide with fright.

"Don't expell me!" I squeaked out, unable to stop myself. Dumbledore's serious expression turned amused for a second.

"Now why would I expell you, Miss Springs?" He said, "Care to share what troubles you've brought upon your fellow classmate Mr. Malfoy this time?" Crap. I wasn't going to be expelled, and now he thinks I've done something worth being expelled over. Real smooth, Alice, REAL smooth.

"Why did you send Snape to get me then? His expression scared the cr-" I caught myself before I swore infront of the headmaster, "cry. Scared a cry out of me." A stormy expression formed on his old, bearded face. His eyebrows furrowed. I stared at him, wishing I could just shrink away and disappear. Whatever he was going to say, I sure wasn't going to like it.

"Darius and Irene Springs were found dead last night." Dumbledore finally said. I felt my heart stop. My parents... dead? "They seem to have been tortured before they were finished off by the killing cur-" Dumbledore began to give me details I didn't want to hear. I didn't want to hear anymore. Nothing mattered. They were dead. It doesn't matter how, it doesn't change the fact that they're dead.

"NO." I yelled, cutting Dumbledore off, "NO. STOP! NO!" I screamed as if he were the one who caused all this. His serious look melted into a look of... pity. I didn't want pity. What the hell was pity supposed to do for my parents. Its not as if they'd come bursting back to life because some old guy felt sorry for me.

I ran from his office, tears streaming down my eyes. How could my parents be dead? Killed by Voldemort, too. The very person they were oh so loyal to. I felt a pain building in my chest. Aparently I didn't hate my parents as much as I thought I did.

Disbelief. That's what I felt. Disbelief and uncontrolable sorrow. Why would he have killed them? They were his followers! They couldn't really be dead, could they? But why would Dumbledore lie to me?

I ran till my legs gave out under me. As if running could help me escape the truth. As if tears could solve anything. Yet... I was crying anyways. I knew it was useless, but I was crying.

Sobs racked at me. I pulled my legs to my chest and buried my head between my arms. I cried for who knows how long. I cried till my tears were running out and my eyes were swolen and red. My throat felt like it had been years since I drank any water.

I pulled out my crystal wand. My mother's wand before Voldemort forced her to get a new one. Healing wands were useless to him. He didn't care if he lost people. He'd have tons more waiting eagerly to fill in the position. He just needed people to kill.

I held the wand close to me, wishing I could feel her warmth again. My father had been cold to me sometimes, but my mother always had been so kind.

"Oh look, it's wee little Winters. What happened, did your Mudblood friend leave you?" A voice sneered. I looked up to see Malfoy.

"Go away!" I attempted to yell. My voice came out hoarse and barely audible. "Leave me alone," I whimpered to myself.

"Alice, what happened?" He said softer this time, the mocking tone disappearing quickly.

"I said, go away! Reducto!" I yelled, firing a spell at Malfoy. I was basically firing blindly, as tears now blocked my vision. There was a boom as something to the right of me exploded. Such bad aim...

I buried my head again, thinking he had left. It scared the shit out of me when somebody wrapped their arms around me.

"Are you okay?" Draco asked softly as if speaking to some hurt animal.

"Do I look okay to you?" I croaked. He chuckled and hugged me. I was so weak and broken, I really didn't care that this was my enemy for the last 6 years. I didn't care that my friends would all hate me. I let myself cry in his chest.

After a while of crying, I couldn't cry anymore. My throat hurt and my eyes were dry.

"What happened?" Draco asked, scared that I would start sobbing again.

"My parents. Nose-less baldy killed them," I whimpered. Draco flinched.

"He threatens to kill my parents... If I don't do as he says, they get tortured," He whispered. I looked at him in shock. So all this time, he wasn't such a bad person... It was all so his parents could live?

"It's terrible when someone dies," I whispered. He hesitated before answering.

"Do you hate me? I don't know how many people have to die just so my parents can live," He asked suddenly.

"Why would you even care if I hate you," I rolled my eyes, "Everyone at Hogwarts hates you and you hate everyone."

"Didn't I tell you I like you?" He smirked at me.

"Yeah, right," I replied sarcastically, "This is weird. We're actually sitting around having a conversation instead of hexing eachother."

"Mhm, sitting around. Right. Just sitting around, you know, my arms are non-existant," He laughed and hugged me tighter.

"Sooo, you like me?" I teased.

"Hmm, I think you should go to the ball with me and we'll see about that," He smirked. I looked at him, completely caught off guard. Did he just ask me to the ball? "Do you like me?" He asked.

"We'll just have to go to the ball together and see," I smirked back.

~~~~~~

Please fan, comment, and vote! I love you guys! <3