Chapter 1 - (Home)

“Maggie! Let’s go, we’ll be late.” I heard my auntie, Shereen, yell from downstairs. Looking at the clock on the wall, it was 3:13 PM and I knew I was already running late. Even though my plane was leaving at 9:00 PM but knowing the Egyptian traffic, it would take us about 3 hours or even more just to get to the airport.

I took one last look at myself before I went down stairs; I was wearing a long pink maxi skirt that reached my waist where my white leather belt was hanging, a baby blue jean shirt that was tugged in and an olive scarf that covered my hair perfectly. I gave myself a nod of approval, the outfit looked good but that didn't calm my nerves. This would be the first time my parents would see me wearing a hijab and I wanted it to look perfect.

After they lost hope in trying to help me, they send me here for some spiritual guidance after my incident and I wanted to show them that I had changed since the last time they saw me.

Taking a deep breath, I got the last of my bags and went down stairs to say goodbye to my family whom I have spent my summer with; this summer was the first time I had ever travelled here. I went to see my father’s side of the family, I used to hate them so much but coming here and meeting them changed my mind. I have never felt so much love in my life, it made me sad to say goodbye and to go back to cold England. But it must be done, I have a new college to attend, a new life to start.

"Take care of yourself, and call us when you land." My auntie, Maha, said hugging me tightly while Omar, my older cousin brought my bags near the door.

"I will." I replied hugging her back.

"It was really nice having you here with us this summer, I’m going to Skype with you every day." my cousin, Tasneem, said hugging and kissing me.

"Thank you Tas, I'll miss you." I hugged her back.

"Remind your parents and sister that they do have a family here, we missed them so much." A tear escaped my grandma’s eyes as she hugged me goodbye.

"I will." I giggled and hugged her back.

"Take care of yourself and don't forget no matter what happens, always have faith and pray." my uncle, Waled, said and he hugged me.

"C'mon, we are going to be late." Auntie Shereen interrupted us.

 They all yelled a few 'goodbye's , 'we'll miss you' and ‘Come back soon' as me, auntie Shereen and uncle Maher took the bags, waved goodbye And we left the family house.

On the ride to the airport, the roads were busy with people coming back from work after a long day. The car was almost silent, except for the few noises that escaped from the outside throw the very small opening of my uncle's window. every now and then my uncle and aunt would make small talk avoiding the elephant in the room. Well the car. I knew that was what they wanted to lecture me about before I go back to England, but thankfully they didn't.

The airport was huge and filled with people travelling in and out of the country. The formalities were long and tiring, but thankfully we made some small talk with other passengers who were on the same flight as me.

My aunt and uncle were with me through the whole process till we reached the boarding line where we said our goodbyes as they weren't allowed to go any further without tickets.

"So this is it." aunt Shereen's voice cracked as she spoke, " have a safe flight, take care of yourself and next summer bring your dad with you, I missed my brother." she poorly joked and gave me a smile. I smiled back and mumbled 'I will' to her while hugging her.

"We are going to miss you kiddo." uncle Maher hugged me, then said, " make smart decisions, and if you want advise at any time just Skype with  us . Okay?" he said in a fatherly way. I knew he was referring to my incident but I was thankful that he was vague about it.