Chapter 25 - (Unexpected Invite)

“Hello?” I answered still not sure if the name on my screen is correct or not.

“Hello Maggie.” I heard his deep voice and that’s when I was sure it was him.

“Hey dad.” My voice came out small and longing.

My relation with my dad was never on good terms, we never talked. He used to always look at me with disappointment and shame and hated talking to him. He made me feel like I wasn’t good enough and even though I seemed like I didn’t care, deep inside me I always cared.

Even now that I’m trying to change and become a better person his looks were always the same cold, distant ones. He hadn’t even tried to contact me since I came to live here and I didn’t realize how much that bothered me till he called.

“How are you?” He asked.

“Good. How are you and mom?” I was nervous when I was talking but I had no idea why. He was my dad, I shouldn’t be nervous.

“We are all good,” He paused and I kept quit as I had nothing to say, “Are you coming over for your sister’s party on Saturday?” I rolled my eyes, why is everyone mentioning that party.

“Yeah.” I sighed in annoyance, I was seriously thinking of changing my mind and ditching it.

“When are you going to be here?” He asked in his usual cold way.

“Saturday morning, I guess.”

“Well, I was thinking that we haven’t seen you since you started your college, so why don’t you come after your last lecture on Friday?” I creased my eyebrows as I didn’t think he would want me to come a day early?

“But my friends were supposed to come with me?” I asked not mentioning the fact that I have the week off because of the doctor’s orders. I know I said I would stop lying but I didn’t want to worry my parents with this little thing. Plus it wasn’t really lying as they didn’t ask. It was more like not sharing.

“They can come and stay with us in the guestroom.” He asked with the same cold tune but in his own way he was reaching out for me and I wasn’t going to refuse his invite. I wanted nothing more than to have a good relationship with my family.

“Okay, I’ll ask them and text you later today.” In the inside I was jumping in joy from his call and invite but my voice came out hesitant and unsure. For some reason, I had my guards up still feeling like this wasn’t real.

“Okay, I’ll wait for your message.” He said not showing any sign of happiness or excitement.

“Okay.” I simply replied.

“Take care of yourself.” He said his goodbye cue so we said our goodbyes and he hanged up.

Sighing, I got my phone out and texted Waliyha asking her if she and Aaroosa would like to come with me this Friday. I knew they would be here in in less than an hour but I wasn’t in the mood to talk to anyone. I didn’t even know how I would go to my parent’s a day early feeling like this?

Not a second later I got her reply, ‘Sure, we would love to come along. Should be fun xx,’ so I texted my dad to tell him that we would be there just before dinner time.

Looking at the number ‘15’ on my messages’ icon, I had the urge to read Zayn’s messages but at the same time I was finally in a not-so-shitty mood and I honestly didn’t want to cry in self-pity anymore so I deleted the messages fast before I change my mind.

Putting my phone down, I went back to my studying. I wasn’t in the mood for the hard subjects so I decided to finish my accounting assignment. Putting on my playlist on shuffle and started solving the problems in my assignment. A few songs past then ‘Half A Heart’ played.