Chapter 5

Carrie came over after his practice. She came in, dropping a book and a few binders on the kitchen table. "What's all this?"

"You wanted help with math," she answered, helping herself to a Coke.

"Can you grab me one too please?"

She reached back into the fridge, grabbing another can of Coke and tossing it to him. "Thanks sweetheart."

Grabbing her books for her, Harrison held the door for her as they went outside. It was a beautiful night, not a cloud to be seen. She laid on the hammock, putting down her drink on a book.

Laying down next to her, he turned her so she lay against his chest. Swallowing, he wasn't sure if he should ask her. Her dad said she would tell him when she was ready. But Harrison really wanted to know. He wanted to make sure she was alright.

"Carrie... can I ask you, ugh, something?"

"Anything."

"I was talking to your dad the other day. I told him I'd never hurt you, and I would never let anyone hurt you." Harrison paused.

She sat up so her legs straddled his sides. Stroking his cheek, she whispered, "tell me."

He took a deep breath. "Your dad said something about your ex, how he hurt you."

Carrie straightened. Nodding, she said barely audible, "he did."

"Carrie, what did he do to you?"

She laid her head on his shoulder, her arms now wrapped around his neck. "I was taking all honors classes, as I still do now. We had the same math class and he needed help with his math work, a lot. I helped him because I loved him."

His thumbs caressed her cheeks. "Then one day, he was over and we were up in my room. He wanted to copy my math homework. This time, I said no because there's going to be times I'm not going to be around to help him. Then he hit me."

"He hit you?"

Carrie nodded. "He slapped me right across the face. I ran across my room, throwing books on the floor so my parents would hear. He came after me and I was able to fend him off until my dad and Todd pinned him down."

"They threw him out and my dad threatened to get the authorities involved if he came near me again. I haven't talked to him since."

Harrison felt like his heart broke into a million pieces. Tears began to dot his vision. "Hey I'm fine," she said, lightly pushing him.

With no physical space left to spare between them, Harrison tried to pull Carrie closer to him. "I'll never do that to you Carrie. I promise."

He felt her gentle lips press against his. Throwing himself into the kiss, Harrison turned her so she was laying next to him. "Oh shit," he muttered, breaking the kiss as the hammock tipped to the side.

Falling off, Harrison twisted in mid air, landing on his back with her on top of him. "Ouch," he groaned, as she slid the book out from under his back. "Sorry sweetheart."

Overhead, the hammock swung, nearly hitting her. He put his hand behind her head, forcing her to duck as the wooden bar swung over again.

Carrie sat back up, gasping as he turned her to the side until he rolled on top of her. Her fingers intertwined in his hair, pulling his face to hers. "I love you," she whispered.

Resting his forehead on hers, he said, "I love you too. And Carrie, I promise I'm never going to hurt you okay? I'll protect you."

"Okay."

•••

They didn't get much studying done before Carrie found a football laying in the yard as she walked back to the hammock. "Catch!" She yelled, launching it towards the hammock. It was a pretty good throw, as all he had to do was reach over the side a bit to catch it.

"Nice throw sweetheart!"

"Thanks," Carrie smiled, walking up to the hammock and taking the ball from him. "Go deep."

"It's dark out!"

She put a hand on her hip. With the clear sky, just the moonlight alone was enough to light the backyard. "Go deep."

Harrison slowly got off the hammock and took off down the backyard. "Throw it!" He shouted.

Carrie just rolled her eyes. He was only about 50 feet away and he wanted her to throw it. But in reality, Carrie could throw a football 45 yards.

Doing arm circles, she loosened up her right shoulder muscle. It was still sore when she threw after her rotator cuff surgery a few years ago. That's what ended her pitching career. But after that, Carrie moved into the catching position.

Loving softball, Carrie couldn't give it up just because she couldn't pitch anymore. Moving to catcher was one of the best decisions she ever made. With the surgery, she couldn't do a full windmill motion, but she could throw a ball overhand.

Taking her pitching experience with her, Carrie became a great catcher. She loved to be able to call all the pitches, being able to see the field, and most of all, she loved to be able to bat.

Seeing Harrison get all the way to the end of his backyard, she launched the ball. It fell into his hands as he jumped over a bush. He spiked it, starting his touchdown dance.

Carrie laughed as he danced. Suddenly the ball came flying back to her and she had to jump to catch it. As he ran back over to her, she put the ball in her left hand and went through her pitching motion, snapping the ball to him in a perfect spiral. Harrison managed to slap it away as the spin forced the ball to shoot upward, almost like a rise ball.

"What the heck was that?" He asked, picking the ball up.

Carrie shrugged, "nothing much."

He pointed towards the backyard and she took off, looking over her shoulder and eventually catching it.

They continued to play catch for another hour before they both were too exhausted to run anymore.

This chapter sort of reflects my personal life. I play softball and I pitch, catch, and can play pretty much every position. But I love to pitch and catch. Although I've never torn my rotator cuff like Carrie did in the story, I have hurt my arm a few times, which is why I started to catch more. I can still pitch perfectly fine. I remember one time I was pitching and our catcher was dying since it was like 95 degrees out and my coach moved me from pitcher to catcher in the same inning😂