Chapter 31

Harrison picked up his wife and carried her down the stairs, all the way into the garage. "Hurry up!"

"I'm trying!"

He was making his way through the kitchen when Chance jogged in front of him. "Watch out buddy."

Still holding Carrie in his arms, he grabbed his keys and hit the garage door opener with his elbow. She cried out as he set her in the passenger seat. "I'm sorry..."

"No-agh, it's not you. Just hurry up."

When he started the truck, Carrie looked at the time. It was 2 in the morning. "Why can't this baby be born at a reasonable hour," she complained.

"Can you call my parents?" She asked as another scream pierced the air.

Harrison did as she asked while still driving. For Carrie, the pain intensified even more. As he sped to the hospital, she sat there with her nails digging into the arm rest.

"We're almost there."

"That's great!" She snapped, holding her stomach.

"Well then..."

"Sorry. I'm a real bitch right now."

"It's okay."

She pressed her head back against the headrest as the hospital came into view. The pain stayed as persistent and painful as Carrie had ever felt it. She screamed as he pulled into a parking space. "Damn it! What did I agree to!?"

Harrison laughed as he ran around the other side. Carrie moved herself to the edge of the seat and fell into his arms. He ran inside as doctors surrounded them, leading him to a room where Carrie could give birth.

He gently laid her down on the hospital bed. By now she had started crying the pain was so bad. Harrison held her hands in his as the doctors put her in a gown and gave her multiple iv's. At one point, Carrie pulled them out before the doctor told her they would help with the pain.

Harrison still held her hands as they prepared for the arrival. He wiped a few tears off her cheeks before reassuring her, "you can do this. I know you can. You know you can."

Carrie nodded before screaming in pain. "We're ready," one of the doctors said.

He held one of her hands tightly as he told her, "you can do it. Now come on Carrie! Push!"

She tried to no avail. The baby hardly moved. "I can't," she muttered, now panting.

Carrie pushed again as hard as she could. She flopped back on the bed, beads of sweat now dripping down her face. Taking a deep breath, she choked up with a sob. "Harry I can't!"

Harrison moved back to her bedside. "Yes you can! I've known you for a while Carrie, and there's not anything I haven't seen you overcome." Kneeling next to her he continued, "this has been a nine month journey. And in a few minutes, it'll be over. Come on, you can do it!"

Carrie nodded, wrapping her clammy hand around his. As the doctors encouraged her, she squeezed his hand so hard, Harrison thought she broke it for a second.

She screamed her lungs out, pushing that baby out will all her might. Next to Harrison kept telling her how far the baby had come. Carrie kept pushing until she heard him say, "he's here!"

Once the pain subsided majorly, Carrie leaned back on the bed. Harrison left her side to see the baby. A huge smile crossed her face when she heard the baby cry.

"Carrie it's a boy!"

She sat up, with some help from her husband. Looking over her knee, she saw her son in the doctors arms. Carrie covered her mouth with her hands upon seeing their son now being held by the doctor. Harrison put his hand on her back and pulling her close as he stood beside her. "You did it!"

"We did it," she corrected. "You had to take care of me and deal with my cravings."

The doctors checked their son's heartbeat before handing him to Carrie. Taking her son, from the doctor, she kissed his forehead. "Hello little guy," she whispered, tears now building up.

"I guess the lady we ran into in Paris was right."

Harrison laughed, sitting down on the edge of her hospital bed. "I guess."

As she was talking to him, their little boy opened his eyes. Carrie smiled as a few tears tumbled down her cheeks. "We did it."

Harrison pushed her matted hair out of her face. Reaching out, she grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him in for a kiss. "Harry, I can't believe it," she whispered, so many tears dotting her vision. With her miscarriage, Carrie wasn't sure she'd be able to have a child. But sitting here with her son in her arms, she was so thankful that everything worked out this time.

Their son raised his small little hand towards his father. Carrie sat up, handing him over to Harrison. "Meet your daddy."

Harrison took his son in his arms. She moved herself closer to them before leaning against her husband's back. "He's adorable," she heard Harrison whisper.

"He's perfect."

One of the doctors came up to the new parents, asking to take their son for post testing. They both nodded, handing their son to the doctor.

Carrie got comfortable again as their baby boy was taken for post testing. "Well what do you think on a name?" She asked.

"I still like Adam over Lucas and Jason."

"Me too. Although I liked Ethan as well."

"You decide."

She raised an eyebrow. "No you pick."

"I like Adam," he answered.

"I do too. So Adam it is?"

Harrison nodded. "I'm sold."

"Are we still good on Douglas for a middle name?"

"Yes," he said as the doctor brought the baby back along with his birth certificate. Harrison handed him back to Carrie.

"Hello Adam Douglas."

He held his tiny hand up. Carrie placed her hand against his. When she did that, she was sure to have seen a small smile already. "I love you little man."

Harrison handed her the birth certificate on a clipboard. Still holding Adam, she rested it against her knee. Then, carefully she wrote 'Adam Douglas Ford. December 20th, 2011.'

Handing the certificate now filled out back to her husband, Carrie told him. "I'm so happy right now."

"Me too sweetheart. And I knew it'd work out."

She moved over in her bed, patting the now vacant spot next to her. Harrison sat next to her, putting his arm around her as she leaned her head against his chest. Giving Adam to him, she kissed her son's forehead before kissing Harrison.

"I love you boys."

"We love you too babe," he answered. "Now get some sleep you need it."

Carrie smiled before closing her eyes.