Chapter 35

With Adam being a year, Carrie got tired of having to load him and all his stuff in the back of her little Tesla.

She watched Harrison finish the sale from inside the house. Truthfully, she'd miss her Tesla. It was a really nice ride with a lot of horsepower.

When he handed over the last of the papers to the buyer, she made her way outside, needing to say goodbye to her car one more time.

"Thank you sir."

"Take good care of it."

"Will do."

Carrie came up next to him, biting her lip as he handed over the title. She would definitely miss the size of the Tesla. It was the easiest thing to parallel park, especially in crowded areas like the Cowboys stadium.

Harrison handed her his copy of the papers before taking the license plate bracket off the front of the car. It was going to go on her new car in the same spot.

"Dad! Look who it is!"

The two of them looked behind the car, where the buyers wife and son came back from the notary with a new license plate. Their son ran up next to his dad, wearing a white Cowboys hat. "Dad look!"

"What Troy?"

"It's him!"

Realizing what his son was saying, the buyer David and his son looked right at Harrison. "Wow..." he muttered. "I guess I was so caught up in buying the car that I never realized it actually was you."

With the Cowboys slated in this years Super Bowl, Harrison couldn't go anywhere in public without people recognizing him and asking for autographs.

He held his hand out. "Nice to meet you."

Shaking hands, David answered, "my son and I are huge fans."

"And this is my wife Carrie."

She shook his hand. "Take good care of my car for me."

"Don't worry, we will."

Meanwhile, they noticed the little boy staring up at Harrison in awe. "Carrie can you run inside and grab me one of my game balls? And a Sharpie?"

She nodded, understanding what he was getting at. Going inside, she tore through his trophy case, looking for a game ball he didn't value as much. Finding one, she ran outside with the football and Sharpie in hand.

The little boys eyes lit up at the sight of Carrie handing her husband the ball and Sharpie. Harrison knelt down, opening the Sharpie. "What's your name?"

"Troy," he answered shakily, still in awe at his idol kneeling right in front of him.

"Do you play football?"

He nodded. "I'm a linebacker, just like you."

Harrison smiled. "Well Troy," he said, beginning to write on the football. "A little tip from me, always pay attention to the offensive line. It may not seem like much, but a lot of right tackles move farther back from the line if it's an outside run play. You know what I mean?"

Troy nodded. "That way they can get back to block the run."

"You sure know your stuff."

The little boys smile stretched from ear to ear, hearing the compliment come from Harrison. Harrison finished his signature before handing him the ball. "There you go."

Not even taking the ball from him yet, Troy hugged him. "Thank you!"

"You're absolutely welcome."

Harrison stood up, taking the Tesla's keys from his pocket. Before he could hand them to David, Carrie poked him in the hand with something sharp. "Car-"

Upon seeing what she poked him with, he took the small pieces of paper and keys and handed them to David. His eyes went wide, seeing 3 Super Bowl tickets laying next to the car keys.

"What is it dad?"

"You've got to be kidding!"

Harrison shook his head. The players had the opportunity to get tickets for their families before tickets went on sale to the public. He got a few extras, thinking his second aunt and cousins were going, but it turns out they had something come up. So Carrie threw 3 in with the car.

"Thank you so much!"

Leaning next to him, Carrie smiled as well. "You sure you don't need these?"

They both shook their heads. "Oh no. Take the car for a ride up to Indianapolis."

David laughed, shaking their hands one more time. He thanked them once more before walking with his son back to the car. Getting in the car, both of them waved.

She bit her lip, watching the blue Tesla back out of the driveway. It would be different with the ease of putting Adam in the back of her new car, and not having to strategically put groceries in the car.

Her eyes watered, watching it turn out and drive down the road. "You going to miss Brenda?"

Carrie smiled, hearing him call it 'Brenda.' When they'd first bought it, she immediately named it Brenda. Harrison would tease her about it but her and Brenda had been through a lot together. The first winter Harrison and Carrie lived together, it snowed 3 inches. And down here in Texas, plenty of people weren't familiar with driving in the snow. Her and Brenda nearly avoided two accidents on the way back from Harrison's game. That day, the passed quite a few people who'd spun off the road. And another time she was coming home from the grocery store when a whole gallon of milk spilled on the floor. It stunk bad for a week until she got it cleaned out.

From the driveway, they could hear Adam start to cry. "Somebody's up."

"I'll go get him and we can go for a ride in the new car," he said.

"Alright."

•••

Carrie didn't miss Brenda too much after taking her new car for a ride. Her new car, a Porsche Cayenne, was really sweet. It was white, just like Harrison's truck, with a matte black interior and tinted windows.

The best part about it was that it was a SUV. Adam's car seat fit a lot better in the backseat. After stopping at a red light, she looked in the mirror, seeing Adam looking out the window at he always does. The little boy loved watching all the other cars on the road.

On the other side, Chance stuck his head out the window. The light turned green and Carrie was still getting used to the pedal sensitivity since this car could go a lot faster than Brenda.

Both parents quickly looked in the mirrors when they heard a giggle. Carrie playfully rolled her eyes, seeing Chance in the backseat with his head hanging out the window. When she sped up, his tongue that was hanging from his mouth, blew up and hit him in the face. Then he would close his mouth and open it again until the same thing happened. And every time his tongue blew up, Adam would laugh.

"You silly dog," Carrie muttered, making a turn.

Adam laughed again as Chance's tongue hit him in the face. Hearing his son laugh, Harrison did as well. "Alright you, what do you want for dinner?"

Harrison slid his hand under Carrie's that rested on the shifter. Picking her hand up, he laced his fingers with hers. "I don't know, I have a taste for Chinese."

She looked over at him. "We are not feeding our one year old Chinese."

"Whatever you say," he teased as she rolled her eyes.