Chapter 46

Carrie was miserable for the few weeks following Chance's sudden death. Every day she thought of him. And it didn't help Adam continued to ask her and Harrison where Chance was. She didn't know how to explain it to him that Chance was dead.

She walked outside, car keys in hand. It was times like this when going for a drive was enough to get her mind off things. Getting in the car, she almost lost it at the sight of Chance's tags hanging from the rear view mirror.

They jingled as she started the car and drove down the driveway. Turning on the road, she let herself focus on driving the car and not anything else. She wasn't gone for 5 minutes before Harrison called.

The car paused the radio to let the call come through. Not feeling like talking right now, she pressed the decline button on the screen. It wasn't another 5 minutes before he called again. This time she let the call go to voicemail.

Carrie kept driving until she got to the spot she took Harrison all those years ago. Dallas in the morning was beautiful. The sunrise lit the buildings a bright orange and red.

She sat in her car for the next half hour just watching the sunrise and people go on their ways through Dallas. Then her husband called for the third time.

She accepted the incoming call. "Carrie! I thought something happened to you!"

"I'm okay. I just needed some time to myself."

"I know. Are you okay?"

She sighed. "No. I guess I still can't process it."

"You're not alone," he answered quietly.

Just being able to hear the sound of his voice comforted her. "Where are you?"

"At our spot."

He wasn't following. "The one overlooking Dallas where we slept in the really cramped backseat of my car."

Harrison laughed. "Oh that one. The one where I had neck pain for a week?"

"Yes that one."

"We should do that again sometime."

"We're going to need a bigger car if we're going to do that again," she teased.

"Definitely. Now why don't you come home?

She started the car. "I'm on my way. I have to-"

"Momma!"

"Hey Adam! How's my little man?"

"Gwood! Momma where you at?"

"Mommy went for a ride."

"Momma come home!"

She laughed. "I will buddy. Can I talk to daddy again?"

There was a pause as the phone exchanged hands. "So when are you coming home?"

"I'll be home in a little bit. I have to stop at the store for something first."

"Like what?"

She took a deep breath. "A pregnancy test."

Carrie heard a gasp come from the other end of the phone. "You're-?"

"I think so. I missed a period which is what happened when we found out I was pregnant with Adam."

"I wonder how Adam will take to a little brother or sister."

"I think he'll be excited. Chance was pretty much an older brother to him." Just saying his name made her almost burst into tears. It had been two weeks since his death, and every time she thought of him, it seemed like yesterday.

"Well I'll see you when you get home, okay?"

"Okay, I love you."

"I love you too Carrie."

•••

Harrison was making Adam lunch when he heard a loud "HARRISON," followed by her running out of the bathroom.

Little Adam looked up from his toys as his mommy sprinted by and jumped into his daddy's arms. "Harrison I'm pregnant!"

He pressed a kiss to her lips. "Seriously?"

Carrie nodded. "Yes!"

Harrison spun her around before kissing her once again. "That's wonderful!"

"Dadda!"

Still holding Carrie, Adam poked at Harrison's legs. "Dadda!" He held his arms up, wanting Harrison to pick him up as well. "What wbout momma?"

He put his wife down and picked up his son. "Mommy's pregnant."

"What's dat mean?"

"That means you're going to get a brother or sister soon."

"Siwster!"

"Mommy and daddy don't know what it is yet."

"I want a siwster!"

Harrison laughed, setting him back down. "We won't know for a few months."

Adam walked over to the table and pulled himself up in a chair. Carrie finished his sandwich and took it over to him. "Thank you momma."

"You're welcome buddy."

•••

That afternoon, Carrie was in her office finishing up her class for interior design, which she planned on majoring in. Then she only needed one more credit to receive her masters degree and start looking for jobs. Her target school was the University of Dallas which wasn't more than 15 minutes away from home. And it was right next to the elementary school they would be sending Adam to.

Finishing her work, she video chatted with Julia who was now studying abroad in England. "How's life back in the states?" She asked.

"Tone it down, you've only been there for 2 months."

Julia laughed. "You sound like my mum."

"Can you cut it with the accent?"

The first week Julia was in England, her and Carrie video chatted and she already developed a British accent. A pretty darn good one. "You're just jealous because my accent sounds better than yours."

She raised her eyebrows. "I think I have a good one too."

"Really let's see."

Carrie cleared her throat before thinking of something to say. "Man I don't know what to say."

"Come on, you can do it."

She leaned back in her chair, scanning her office for ideas. Her eyes settled on the original poster she got Harrison for Christmas of A New Hope, his favorite Star Wars movie. "You ever seen A New Hope?"

"Of course Carrie! You and Harrison made me watch it a thousand times."

"Okay here goes nothing," she said, sitting up and preparing to put on her best Princess Leia impression. "Governor Tarkin, I should've expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board," she said with a perfect British accent.

Julia clapped. "Bravo!"

Carrie laughed, leaning back in her chair as Adam ran in. "Hey buddy, say hi to Julia."

She set him on her lap as he waved. "Oh Julia, I have to tell you some big news."

"Go for it."

"I'm pregnant!"

"Oh my gosh Carrie congratulations!" She said, her hand flying to her mouth. "When did you find out?"

"Today."

She laughed. "Boy I have a good story to tell you."

Totally on an unrelated note but did you guys see The Last Jedi trailer? Ahh I'm shook.