3 - The Smiths

Riley.

As i walk back home, my heart races faster and faster. I knew i was in big trouble as my mum hated it when i didn't pick up her calls. "I hope she understands" I mutter to myself, trying to calm down. I didn't mean to fall asleep for that long, I cant believe I missed 10 of her calls.

When i reached my doorstep, I took a long deep breath and smiled "Everythings okay" reassuring myself. I swing open the door and see my parents and a family in the living room.
"Oh sweetie you're home" my mum calls out to me and glares.
"Sorry i'm late" i apologize.
"Meet the Smiths" my dad says and gestures me to join them at the couch.
"Hello. You must be Riley" Mr Smith puts out his hand to shake mine. "Hi" i awkwardly say. "This is my son, Darren. He's the same age as you and is going to your school" He points at the guy wearing a black baseball cap and a plain white tee with jeans. I smile at him and he smiles back. I whisper to my mum and ask "Who are they?" She whispers back to me "The family next door" My eyes widen as i knew that i was going to see them around very often which means i need to socialise, which is something i'm not good at.

My whole night was boring as the parents talked about their work and that leaves me and Darren sitting together in silence.
"Why don't you show Darren around?" My mum suggests. I nod and look at Darren who has been using his phone since like forever. He looks at me and raises his eyebrows, "Im showing you around" i tell him. He stands up and follows me. I did a tour around the house and decided to end the tour at the backyard, we sat at the swing my dad built when i was little and started talking about life. I guess tonight was not that bad after all. He seems like a really down to earth person, so means it would be easier for me to make friends with him.

"Are you free tomorrow after school?" he nervously asks. I hesitate a little and think if i have anything on tommorow and nod. "Yeah i'm free, why?" "Good. Can you show me around town? Im still new after all." He smiles to the ground and he clutches his fists. "Anytime." I say and i see his eyes light up at me. "Okay, see you tomorrow then, it's getting pretty late so a girl like you should need her beauty sleep." he jokes. My cheeks immediately felt super hot and i joke back, "Of course, this doesn't come easily" i say pointing at my face and we both laugh. Something tells me that we are going to get along just fine.