27 - Deja Vu

Shawn.

I wake up to an empty bed, Riley's gone. I walk out to the bathroom and down to the living room and kitchen but she's no where to be found. I run back up to my room and pick up my phone, realising there's a note on it. "Sorry, there's an emergency - Riley" it read. Deja Vu. For some reason my stomach turns upside down, I have a bad feeling about this emergency. The first time she left me alone in bed was because Darren's family came over to introduce themselves, i hope this time it's not about Darren. I know I'm selfish for thinking that, but after our kiss last night, i just miss being around her.

I quickly dial Riley's phone but its turned off. It must've died, I convince myself. I change out of my sweatshirt into a dark grey shirt and wash up. I drive up to Riley's house and knock on the door, but her mom opens the door. "Hey Shawn" She greets me. "Is Riley here?" I ask her while peeping into the house. "No, i think she's at the hospital. Darren got into an accident." She tells me with a frown on her face. "Oh okay, I'll go there. Thanks Mrs Dayes." I say and jog back to my Jeep, driving off to the hospital.

As i was driving to the hospital, i noticed myself grabbing on the wheel tightly. I cant believe she left me again for Darren. Why didn't she wake me up if it was an emergency? So many thoughts ran through my head. Once i reached the hospital, i parked the car and walk into the the hospital.

"Shawn Mendes?" The receptionist asks in disbelief. "Yeah." I reply with a smile. "Can i get an autograph?" She says while handing me what seems to be her dairy. I quickly sign it while asking "Where's Darren Smith's room?" "Room 401" she says cheerfully. "Thank you, it was nice meeting you." I tell her before walking off to the elevator and going up to the fourth floor.

After scanning the floor, i found the room. I swing open the door and find Riley hugging Darren while he's on the hospital bed. "What the fuck?" I exclaim and the both of them turn to look at me. Riley lets go of Darren and turns pale, "Shawn?" I walk towards Darren and slapped him across the face. I know i let my anger get to the best of me, but I just couldn't hold it in anymore. First, I couldn't forgive him for letting me get bullied in kindergarten. Yeah i know it was a long time ago, but that really destroyed my self-esteem. The only reason why i started singing was because I felt happy again after meeting Riley. I am not letting Darren take Riley away from me.

"Shawn! What the hell is wrong with you?" Riley screams at me. Darren touches his cheek and laughs. "Why are you defending him?" I scream back. "He just got into an accident!" She yells. "It's okay, Riley." Darren cuts in and grabs her arm. "Riley, can i talk to you in private?" I sigh, trying to cool down my anger. She nods and we walk out of the room. "What?" She spits. "I'm sorry, i let my anger get the best of me. Why didn't you wake me up if it was an emergency?" "I know you don't have the best relationship with Darren, and thought you wouldn't want to be here." She says while looking down. I hold up her chin for her to face me and say "I would do anything for you. Anything." "I'm sorry i left you." I pull her in to my chest and give her a hug, and then I remembered she was hugging Darren when i came in. "Why were you hugging Darren?" I ask. "I forgave him for his drunk mistake. You don't have to forgive him, but i do." "I'll try." I mutter and she smiles from ear to ear. "Really?" She asks and i nod.

I want to prove to Riley that I'll do anything for her. I know she says i don't have to forgive him, but the least i could do is try. If he has really changed for the better, i should at least give him a second chance.

The both of us walk back into the room and I apologise to Darren for slapping him. He says its okay, but i know it's not. He still has a red mark on his cheek from the slap. "I'm sorry too, for what i did a long time ago. I was young and stupid, but thats no excuse for being a bad friend to you." He says regretfully. I sigh "I need some time to forgive you." "Okay."

After talking to Darren for awhile, Riley and I decided to go back home. "Thanks for coming. Sorry i didn't wake you up." She says. "It's okay, you already said sorry, and i forgave you!" I laugh. "Yeah i know but i just wanted to say it again." She smiles. When we reached the Jeep, i rushed over to open the door for her. It's a habit I've formed ever since i started dating her. "Thank you." She says shyly. I jog back to the drivers seat and drive away to Starbucks. We ordered from drive-through and drove back home.

I'm glad we were able to talk things out, and not leave things awkward. I think there's a chance for us to be together again, but I just need to make sure i don't mess things up.