Chapter 14.

It would be two more weeks before Christmas began and the parties and balls continued becoming more and more lavish and festive. The town and the rest of the aristocratic families were abuzz with making preparations to attend Lord Daniel Wolfe's wedding to Lady Aspen Lennox. Angel and Sarah kept themselves busy with decorating the house with boughs of holly and mistletoe as well as seeing that the children continued with their studies. Every day, Angel could smell gingerbread throughout the whole house as the holidays crept ever so closer. William was swamped with bets and wagers from many powerful gentlemen, to see if Lord Steel's policies were finally going to be approved in the House of Lords. But even though Angel was busy with the extra tasks that she took upon herself to lighten the load of Will's work, she still found the time to stroll through the crisp December snow in the park. She made sure that she partook of this time to become relaxed before her busy schedule took over her day. She was usually accompanied by Cameron, which she made sure was bundled up tight so that he wouldn't come down with the sniffles or the flu. But lately, Tyler has been strolling around with her!

It seemed like every morning when she would walk up the very hill where they first met, he would be waiting and standing by the great maple tree that stood at the top of the hill. When she saw the look in his eyes as he watched her approach him, it made her feel like time stopped completely and only she and Tyler existed. She felt a great warmth within her chest, her heart felt like it was swelling up with some sort of emotion. She couldn't quite make out what it could be, and it puzzled her quite madly. She wondered every day if she would meet him during her walks, and most days, her wishes come true. But, today, right before she began her walk, Angel woke up very early and partook of her breakfast. Instead of eating within her chambers like most young girls her age, Angel rather liked eating in the kitchen with the staff, she felt more comfortable there. When her meal was completed, she requested Cook, to make baskets filled with holiday treats so that she could deliver them to the eight shelters and orphanages within the city. At times, what she did drew a lot of attention as well as caused some minor gossip. A few young ladies who she had been introduced to and became friends with approved of her decisions to help the poor and needy. In fact, they formed a committee of sorts to help her out. In their own little way, they helped out by asking their parents for the funds needed to accomplish this. But alas, some of the other young ladies disapproved of her and her friend's choices, when it was regarding the poor, and they started up many of the rumors about her as well as her group that was circulating around.

But Angel didn't pay them any mind. So what if they disapprove, if they wanted to continue to oppress the poor people, instead of helping them, then that can remain on their own conscience, and that love for God that they swore to love all of God's creations could go to waste. Angel felt that in her heart that what she was doing wasn't wrong, rather it was the right thing to do. It was approaching the noon hour and Angel was just leaving the last foundling home on her errand list. As she was slipping on her kid gloves, and saying her farewells to the children, she was brought to a halt after seeing the head matron shedding some tears. Angel reached into her coat pocket and took out her lace handkerchief, she handed it to the woman and patted her on her back. "There is no need to shed tears, Mrs. Brewster, God would want you to be happy for the children! Especially since it's almost the holidays." 

Mrs. Brewster dabbed at her tears with the handkerchief and smiled,  "Oh' bless you, Lady Kent. You have such a big heart to these blessed children. May God shed all his wondrous glory upon you and your family?" Angel nodded, "Thank-you." 

The children gathered around her and wrapped themselves around her dress, "Happy Christmas, Lady Kent!"The children shouted to her with smiles on their faces. "And a happy Christmas to you as well! You must be careful and to make sure that your all good and avoid doing bad things. I'm sure you all wouldn't want Saint Nicolas to leave coals in any of your stockings would you?" She asked as she laughed lightly. Again she was starting to walk away when she felt someone grab a hold of her dress again, Wait, Lady Kent!" 

Angel looked down and saw one of the children from the foundling home clinging to her skirts. Angel bent down and patted her head, "Yes, sweetheart, whom would you be? And what may I do for you?" The girl stuttered a little as she began to speak, "My name is Nellie. But you can call me Nell, that's what my friends call me." She then withdrew a folded envelope from her front pocket and handed it to her, "Here, Mrs. Brewster asked me to give this to you because I was the fastest runner!" She said with great pride. Angel giggled, "You sure are, darling." 

Angel said as she held the child close to her. She stared at the envelope in question, what did this contain? She wondered. Knowing that she had to inquire about the contents of this letter, Angel held out her hand for the child to grab a hold of, when Nellie did, Angel made her way back to the foundling home.