Chapter 36.

There was a knock on his study door the next morning. Tyler decided that for the time being, he would conduct his business here at his home so that he could keep an eye on Angel since there seemed to be people after her life. Tyler told whomever that was on the other side to come in. The door opened and Robinson came in with Asha standing behind him with a terrified and nervous expression on her face. "You, wished to see me, M'lord?

Tyler gestured for her to come forward and to take a seat. Once she was seated, Tyler asked her if she knew her aunt's whereabouts. The child shook her head violently and swallowed nervously. 

     "Are you absolutely sure, Girl?" Asha felt the sweat drip down her spine. She really needed this job, her ma and her siblings were counting on the money she brought into the house. She started to cry. But she promised her aunt that she wouldn't tell the Lord anything she might see or hear. She had to remain firm in her loyalty to her aunt. The Child was hiding something or was refusing to tell Tyler something she knew about Mable. He didn't have the heart to interrogate her, even though he wanted to, for the sake of the lives of both Angel and their unborn child. He told her to remain sitting there while he went over to the bell-pull and rung for Robinson.

When Robinson appeared, he went over to him and whispered to him to get a messenger to William's house and ask for Archer Colt, so that he could help him question the young lady. Robinson nodded, turned about on his heel and went to do what his Lordship requested. An hour and a half later, Archer came strolling into his study with William on his heels and they both stood before Tyler's desk. He could tell that William wanted to go up and see his sister, so Tyler allowed him but he cautioned William to take it slowly since Angel had to rest.

'Doctor's Orders,' he reminded him with a smile. William nodded his head and left the room. Tyler then poured Archer a glass of Brandy and explained to him what went on the other day and then handed him the mysterious letter that was given to Daniel. Archer examined the letter, then he took out his magnifying glass and peered at the writing style. Something about the way the ink was used piqued Archer's interest. Tyler was slowly losing his patience while he watched Archer stare at the letter, he wanted so much to go up to his chamber and cuddle with his wife. However, he also wanted to catch the Son of a Bitch who tried to murder his wife. 

      "Have you found anything of note?" Archer looked up from the letter and related what he found to Tyler about the contents of both the envelope and the letter. Tyler nodded with Archer's reasoning, but his arms were still folded across his chest. 

       "I have Mable's niece detained in Robinson's office. Could you question her? I sense that she is hiding something, or rather she knows something but is refusing to tell me. I have an idea on how to make her talk, and that is to show her the letter and see if she recognizes the person who wrote it. Maybe if we explain what her aunt tries to do to Angel, she might spill the beans so to speak."

Archer liked Tyler's reasoning. He would make a good deputy back home. Perhaps when this mess was solved, he would speak with Tyler and ask him to move his family back with him to Bannock, Montana.