Chapter 24.

When Tyler entered the blue salon room, Sargent Talbot placed his teacup on the table and stood at attention. Louis Talbot eyed Tyler with a suspicious glare. He also realized that Lord Steele was not alone in the room, he recognized Lord Kent, because he caught a glimpse of him at the last ball he happened to be at. But the other man was of an unknown origin to him. He could clearly see that the stranger was not an English man. He didn't withhold an English manner, by the look of his clothes alone, Talbot came to the realization that he must be an American. With that confirmation in mind, Talbot dismissed the man altogether. Talbot cleared his throat, "Did you happen to receive the telegram that arrived for you my lord from our offices?"

Tyler nodded at the man, "Yes, I did indeed, however, I was both shocked and surprised that your superiors believe that I am involved! I was unaware that Lord Elliott was killed until I got the telegram. May I ask how you came to believe that I was the culprit?" Clearly being unhappy with Lord Steele questioning his reasoning's, Talbot merely shrugged his shoulders and rolled his eyes. He then reached into his uniformed pocket and retrieved a dagger that had the initials 'TS' on the hilt and handed it towards Tyler's outstretched hands. But before it ended up in Tyler's hand the man Talbot dismissed earlier, snatched the dagger from him and began examining the initials closely. "I beg your pardon, Sir! How dare you snatch that from me!" Talbot nearly strained, "who do you think you are?"

At that precise moment, William spoke up and stepped forward. "Allow me to make the introductions; This is a good friend of mine, Talbot, his name is Marshall Archer Colt, he's a famous investigator in America. I have asked him to help solve this mess that you and your superiors made regarding the so-called murder of a peer that you are accusing my brother-in-law." Talbot humphed, "I said no such thing, M'lord. As you can clearly see from the initials that this weapon clearly belongs to Lord Steele!"

Archer came closer to William and tapped him on the shoulder, "Will! Take a look at this."Archer said as he held up the tilt of the dagger to William's sight. "Notice the newly engraved carving that shows that the 'T' was originally an 'I'." At hearing that, Talbot shoved the man aside and snatched the dagger away from William's grasp. When he looked very closely at the initial of the 'I', he heaved a sigh of frustration. Clearly, his other officers overlooked this detail and accused Lord Steele without solid proof. Dammit!

"It looks like we at Scotland Yard owe you an apology, M'lord. When my superiors noticed the insignia they automatically assumed that this weapon, belonged to you. But may I ask you, where you happened to be when Lord Elliot was murdered?" Both William and Tyler smiled at each other. Tyler stepped forward and slapped his hand against Talbot's shoulder. "My whereabouts should be easily confirmed. I was here, in this house, in this very room, exchanging vows with my new wife!" Still not trusting his word, Talbot smiled grimly.

"Do you have proof? Were there any witnesses present M'lord." Tyler felt slightly insulted by his suggestion, but he shrugged off and laughed deeply. "This is not a laughing manner, M'lord. Either you were here like you claim, or you were indeed murdering Lord Elliot!" After allowing himself to become calm again, Tyler cleared his throat and smiled. He then rung the serving bell that sat on a pedestal that was beside the salon room door and rang it for Robinson. After a few moments of waiting, Robinson appeared and bowed to all four men.

"M'lord? You summoned me?" Tyler smiled again and turn to answer Robinson, "Indeed Robinson, Could you please go and retrieve Lady Steele and tell her that I wish to see her. She should be in the nursery with the children  along with Lady Wolfe." Robinson bowed again. "At once M'lord."

After bowing, Robinson turned about and left the room. Tyler glanced back at Talbot and smiled at him. "You'll soon have your proof, sir!"