Chapter 30.

Angel was sitting in the study before a roaring warm fire and sewing a new blanket for Sophie when a young maid approached her and bowed, "My lady?" Angel looked up from her sewing, "Yes?"

"Milady, my name is Asha Hood, I'm Ms. Hood's niece, and my aunt is wondering if I could work here with her?  See my ma, needs more money and she has placed all of my siblings in working places, except me,  So my aunt told me that I should inquire myself. She suggested that I should help with the young ones. I have plenty of experience because I help my ma with my younger brothers and sisters. Plus she said I could perhaps sit in with master James's tutoring and maybe learn how to read. So can I work here?" She said, in a nervous and squeaky voice. Angel felt sorry for the child, she saw Mable standing by the door frame, watching the conversation. For a brief moment,  Angel was going to refuse, because something didn't feel right. She felt like something bad was going to happen. She had no idea, what it would be though,  but she sensed it. Going against her better judgment, Angel looked in Mable's direction and gestured to come forward so that they could speak privately.

When Mable left her ladyship's side a wicked grin soon consumed her usual serious face. She inhaled and heaved a hefty sigh. Soon her plan was going to be fulfilled. Her true master asked her to keep an eye on the new Lady Steele, and what better way than using her niece as an unsuspecting spy.

Later that evening.

The hallway clock had just struck midnight, and Mable was finally able to relax. The new little brat had finally settled down and had fallen asleep, She was just about to kick off her shoes when she remembered that she had to go and meet her cousin and show herself to her real mistress.

 It was Abe that got her the job here after he discreetly got rid of the previous governess. She owed her loyalty to her mistress to go and report to her what she did today and to notify her that she has placed her unsuspecting niece within the household to spy and report anything and everything to her about Lord and Lady Steele. So very quietly, Mable tip-toed across the nursery floor, eased the door ever so slightly and slipped through it. Once she was in the hallway, Mable made her way down the stairs and out the servant's entrance and out towards the garden gate.

She was just outside the property when a man's hand landed on her shoulder, she jumped and would have screamed, if not another hand hadn't clamped over her mouth. The man whispered in her ear and his hot breath covered her neck sending goosebumps up and down her spine. "If I release my hand from your mouth, will you promise me that you won't scream..., cousin? Or are you going to scream until your voice is raspy and wake up not only your employers household but the whole neighborhood?"

When Mable realized that the male voice belonged to her cousin Abe, rage-filled her body and her blood ran hot. She turned on him and began hitting him. "You stupid idiot, how many times have I told you not to sneak up on me like that. Jesus' Abe you must have scared at least ten years off my life."

"ENOUGH of your yammering Woman! Are you going to just stand there and talk? Or are you going to follow me to my Ladyships house and speak with her in person?" Mable stopped talking for a moment. Then she silently followed him until they got to another house on High Street. The domain did not look like any family lived within, in fact, it looked sort of dark and haunted. She caught Abe's gesture for her to follow him into the side door of the house. Once inside, she was directed to the parlor and told to wait where she was as Abe was to notify his master that she has arrived and was awaiting an audience with her ladyship.

After what felt like twenty minutes of waiting the parlor doors finally opened and Abe gestured her to enter. Mabel boldly walked into the room and after adjusting her eyes to the gloom of the room, and spotting her ladyship sitting in a wing chair that sat close to the fire, Mable approached her on silent feet. When she got to her side, Mable bowed and waited to be acknowledged. "SPEAK!" Said her ladyship in an annoyed voice. Mabel gulped but related her plan to watch the new Lady Steele and report anything new to her.

The woman nodded and smiled wickedly and commended Mable on her plan. As she was being dismissed from the room, Mable stopped moving and turned about and walked back to her mistress and stopped to stand in front of her. "Begging, your pardon Milady, but may I ask for your name, so that I'll know to whom I should address my letters too?"

The mistress heaved a frustrated and annoyed sigh, she then got up from where she was standing and approached Mable. Once she was staring eye to eye to her, and the lady's stares felt like it barred into her very soul with ice-cold precision, she grimaced. "Just send your letters and information to your cousin!"

"But!" Mable squeaked. "Oh, very well, You may call me Lady S. Only your Cousin knows my real name! If you are so curious as to know who I am, ASK HIM!" Once Mable left the house, the lady turned and stared at her manservant. "What an annoying twit, she is! How you two are related is beyond me. Don't you find her prattle irritating Abe? Once we're done using her, Silence her will you. We won't need a busybody ruining my plans will we?" Abe hesitated for a moment, then bowed and toyed with the dagger in his pocket.

"As you wish Lady Sokorri!"