Chapter 33.

His name was being screamed throughout the hallways of the mansion again. He ignored it and rolled over and stuffed his pillow over his ears to try to block out the noise. Again she screamed his name, frustrated, Abe tossed the blankets aside, grabbed a hold of the candle taper and stormed down the hallway, to find out what the lady wanted. He was in his nightclothes and holding a candle taper in his left hand and trying to rub the sleep from his eyes. He yawned. "You beckoned, Irene?" Irene Sokorri, abruptly turned about with her hands placed on her hips, and she glared at him, "Who gave you permission to use my first name?"

Abe stared at his mistress with a look of confusion. He sensed that all was not right in the lady's head, she seemed a little more unhinged this evening.

"Why, you did. Do you not remember?" Again she glared at him and gave him a sneer. "How are things going with that cousin of yours? Has she made any progress?" Abe shrugged his shoulders. Then he remembered reading the latest letter, he received a few days ago from Mable. It was a short missive, so it was easy to recite from memory. He related to her what was said in the letter and waited for her reply. By the way that she stood before him, Abe could tell that she was not pleased.

"THAT IS ALL? It's been several months, what has she been doing? You did give her that vial of poison did you not?

Abe nodded. "I don't know if she has used it yet.  All her letter said, was that she trying to be careful. Apparently, Lady Steele was growing suspicious with her. So much so, that she had asked that detective that came from America to investigate her. Why are you inquiring anyway? You haven't mentioned the Steele household for the last three months now, what has piqued your interest just now? Has Lord Steele been interfering with Lord Sokorri's progress in getting his bill passed through parliament?" Irene bit her bottom lip, and she shook her head, "No! I just feel a little antsy. Mable said that she would do something with Lady Steele, but she hasn't done anything, and I'm getting annoyed with her failure."

Abe was confused, why was the subject of Lady Steele so important to her?... "Pardon me for asking this Irene, but why are you so focused on Lady Steele anyway? What has she done, that causes her to become a target in your eyes?" Irene glared at him again and sighed. She might as well tell him, she thought to herself. 

       "I did some investigating myself of Lady Steele's family background, and what I came upon, is why I am now targeting her. You did know that I had a daughter in my previous marriage, did you not? Well anyway her name was Annabelle. She married an Irish Aristocrat and had a family, She unfortunately also inherited my late ex-husband's disease of the brain. She was slowly going insane. Just like her, half-sister did. Her half-sister ended up in an insane asylum in America, where she ended up dead. Lady Steele is a relation of mine! But what has made her a target in my eyes, is that she murdered her mother. She killed her in cold blood, then she closed her mother's house and decided to forget the whole ordeal."

      "Are you absolutely sure about that?" Abe asked her. "From what I gathered, was that Lady Annabelle Kent, did go insane, but her daughter didn't kill her. Annabelle was attempting to kill Lady Steel when she was thirteen. It was her brother that discovered his mother trying to kill his sister, so I heard from her previous maid,  that Lord Kent, shot her, and ending Annabelle's life. He did that so that he could protect his sister!" Irene sent him a dark hard stare. "Which information are you going to believe? Are you going to faithfully believe in the information you gathered, or are you going to put faith in mine?"

That's it. That's confirmed it in his mind. Irene Sokorri has contracted the same disease. She has gone completely mad, and Abe was done being her weapon! He's killed many people for her ambitions, but NO, MORE! He had to find a way to inform Lord Steele about the possible attempt on his wife's life and to warn him about his mistress and his cousin. Abe gazed back at Irene and gave her a blank stare, he then turned about and walked out of the parlor even when he continued to hear her scream and walked towards his bedchamber. 

Once he was inside, he locked his door and went to his desk. He pulled out a piece of parchment and proceeded to write a warning to Lord Steele.

 "My Lord, I want to inform you that an attempt of Murder is coming your way, from both the outside and the inside of your home. Be warned that both parties want to do harm to your new wife. Protect her at all costs! Sincerely A Friend." 

After he finished writing it, he threw some fine sand upon the ink to make it dry faster, then he put it in an envelope and marked it with his seal. He had to wait for his ladyship to retire, then when he saw that she did, Abe would get dressed and immediately deliver his missive.

.