t w o

Tuesday morning

Naomi Cartier
——

THE rain softly hit against Naomi's windshield as she drove carefully on the highway. Her engine purred softly as she rode in silence, deep into her thoughts. Naomi's best trait was overthinking. If there was a prize for it, she would definitely win it. Her thoughts ran rapidly twenty four hours a day. Sometimes she wished that she could turn her brain off for a couple of days.

Maybe it was the creator in her. It was definitely a blessing and a curse.

"Mommy, can we go to the park today?" Nia, Naomi's five year old daughter, broke the silence with her usual chirpy voice. "I want to do a picnic! We haven't did that in soooooo long." She stated dramatically.

  Naomi chuckled to herself as she shook her head. The two had just had a picnic last weekend at the park. "Sure, sweetie." She briefly glanced at her watch. "You didn't want to go with Daddy today?"

"Oh!" Nia exclaimed, face palming herself causing Naomi to chuckle. "Can he come too?!"

     "Yes, he can. Want to call and ask?" Nia nodded her little head excitedly.

Nia was Naomi's little ray of sunshine. She had a head full of curls that would be beautifully contained in a bun before she went to school. It wouldn't be the same after she was picked up. Her mocha complexion was smooth as a baby's bottom. She had a beautiful smile that was complimented with two missing front teeth.

Naomi kept focus on the road while dialing Nia's father, Ashton, number. The ringing tone sounded throughout Naomi's all black 2017 Toyota Camry. After about four rings, Ashton answered the phone with his deep baritone.

"Hello?" He greeted. It sounded like he was going through some paperwork because Naomi could hear it in the background. Ashton was a well known Software Architect, and does well in his field. Although he is a very busy man, he makes time for Nia and that's all Naomi ever asks for.

   "Daddy!" Nia shouted.

"Hey my beautiful princess!" Ashton matched her tone causing Naomi to smile a little as she got off on her exit.

   "Hey Ash, Nia wanted to ask you something." Naomi said before stopping at a red light. She gave Nia the thumbs up, and that's all she needed.

"Daddy, the park today. After school. Be there." Nia said seriously. Naomi tried hard to hold her laugh in, but to no avail. Nia began giggling.

   "Doesn't seem like a question to me." Ashton said through his chuckles. "Well, I guess I have no choice but to be there. Just let me know when you guys are on your way. I'll close up early."

"Yay!" Nia shouted excitedly.

    "It's going to be a picnic so dress comfortably." Naomi announced as she pulled up to the daycare center. She put the car in park, and sat back in her seat.

"Okay, I got it." He replied.

    "Daddy, can you bring Rosey?" Nia asked, referring to Ashton's German Shepard.