t w e l v e

3:13 a.m.

——————————

          THE BEATING ON THE DOOR made Zeke suddenly wake up out of his sleep. He noticed that Cato wasn't in the bed with him. It was dark besides the moonlight creeping through the curtains and the dim glow of the clock that sat beside his bed. Half asleep, he sat up and blinked his eyes a few times before reading the time on the clock. Whoever was at the door, they started beating on the door even harder.

Who the fuck?

     He fumbled with the sheets, and pulled them back before getting out of the bed. He stumbled a little as he attempted to wake up while trying to stay alert. Cato began barking and growling at the door because they'd disrupted his sleep as well. Zeke jogged down the staircase.

"Sit." Zeke pointed towards Cato, and Cato followed instructions but still remained barking.

     He looked through the peep hole on the door, and sighed once he saw who was at the door. Zeke cracked the door open, and glared at Senaya Ingram, his mother.

"What?" He snarled.

       She rolled her eyes, and smacked her lips. "Boy, let me in." Senaya pushed her way through, letting herself in. Cato growled at her and she mugged at the mutt. "Shut up."

Zeke sighed sharply, closing the door. "What do you want Senaya?" Folding his arms across his bare chest, he looked at her with a blank expression. She was the last person he'd wanted to see. Looking at her appearance, he was disgusted. She was dirty, and it looked as if she hadn't groomed in weeks.

   She was a light-skinned woman with Amber colored orbs. Anyone could pretty much tell that she was a beauty back in her younger days, but with the combination of drugs and life, that quickly changed. She had medium height, standing around 5'7. Her long hair was now cut short, and she had a nasty cough. Dressed in some long pajama pants and a tank top, she was shaking, obviously cold.

Zeke disappeared down the hallway, sighing loudly. He hated himself for even attempting to help, but she could really get sick from not having anything to cover her up. He opened the closet in the dark hallway, cutting on the light. He grabbed a long-sleeved shirt and a jacket that he didn't really use. Shutting off the light, he kicked the door closed with his foot and appeared back into the living room.

"Thanks." She coughed out as he handed her the materials. Senaya sniffled, throwing the shirt over her head and placed her arms through them. She then put her arms through the coat, and buttoned it all the way up. "I can't get no cover?" She asked with a hint of attitude.

Senaya looked at the way her youngest son was looking at her, lack of empathy and respect. Life has quickly taken a downward spiral for her. She chose drugs over her family which, at the time, she was okay with that.

       Zeke didn't bulge. "Answer my question. It's 3 in the fucking morning and you banging on my door like you real fucking important." He glared at her.

"Watch your mouth." She pointed at him, and walked towards his kitchen. Zeke looked up, closing his eyes and saying a quick prayer. He didn't want to grab his mother and throw her out. He followed behind her and she opened his frig like she was welcomed at his home.