t h i r t y - f i v e | part 1

Excuse any mistakes

Seattle, Washington
1 week later
Christmas Eve

Lord, I will lift mine eyes to the hills
Knowing my help is coming from You
Your peace, You give me in time of the storm

You are the source of my strength
You are the strength of my life
I lift my hands in total praise to you

You are the source of my strength
You are the strength of my life
I lift my hands in total praise to you

      There wasn't many instances where Rayne used her voice. A voice that she'd inherited from her mother, Senaya. But when she did, she often got questions about why she didn't pursue a musical career.

Brennan happily watched his daughter do something she didn't do much these days. When she was a little girl, no one had to ask her to sing. She willingly did so. But, that was when Senaya was singing along with her.

      Her voice rolled over the hills in sorrowful waves. Swells of power rose up in her throat. Her hand went to her heart and her head rose as she belted out the final notes.

Amen, Amen (Amen)
Amen, Amen (Amen)
Amen, Amen (Amen)
Amen, Amen (Amen)

     Opening her eyes, she noticed that her father was smiling at her. She cleared her throat and picked up her wine glass off of the coffee table, drinking the rest of the contents. She could carry an entire choir by herself, if she wanted to.

Brennan sat up straight in his chair. "I haven't heard you sing in a long time, Elise." Rayne gave him a tight lipped smile.

     "I don't sing. The song just moved me, I guess." She shrugged her shoulders.

"I wish you would sing more often. Your voice is beautiful." Brennan looked at her.

          Now, she wished she hadn't sung at all. "Daddy, we both know why I don't sing."

"I do." He nodded. "But, that doesn't mean I agree with the reasoning. Come here." He tapped his thigh.

       Resting her hand on her neck, she smirked at him. "I'm not too old to sit in your lap?"

"Elise, you're never too old to sit in your old man's lap." He motioned for her to come to him. "Come."

She followed his orders, and got up from her spot on the sofa. Walking around the table, she took a familiar place on his lap and wrapped her arms around his neck. Suddenly, she felt like a little girl again.

It seemed like the world couldn't touch her whenever she sat in her father's lap. She felt protected from any pain the world would cause her.

Resting her head on top of his, she hummed a tune softly. "Remember I used to sing in your lap when I was little?"

"Mhmm." Brennan looked at her. "What was the song? Jesus Loves Me?"

          Rayne smiled at him, nodding her head. "Jesus loves me, this I know.." She sung. "For the Bible tells me so.."