f o r t y - o n e

Y'all up?  Hea.

Excuse any mistakes. 🗣I did not proofread.

Seattle, Washington
Next morning

With a hood over head, Naomi's feet kissed the concrete. It had been a minute since she'd been out for a morning jog. She figured that it was no better time to start back than at that moment.

She bounced up and down to the steady rhythm of her music. Sticky perspiration soaked her light hoodie. It was really chilly, but it didn't matter.

Naomi was far from her home, but she couldn't stop her feet. She rushed past pedestrians and they recognized her, stopping to stare for a few seconds before going back to what they were doing.

Everyone who stared got a stare back from Naomi. And her was cold.

Distant.

For the first time in a long time, she was angry. With herself and with the world. But, she had to get herself together. She was going to be a mom again.

The thought made her smile a little as she turned to run back to her house. She lengthened her strides as the sun kissed her through her jogging suit.

Ahead, someone was waving in her direction as she got closer. She recognized Landon, and slowed her pace. It's been a while since the two have seen each other.

Naomi removed her earbud, allowing it to hang from the inside of her hoodie. "Hey Landon." She said while trying to catch her breath.

Landon smiled at her. "Hey Naomi." His french accent is still thick. "How are you?"

She nodded her head, wiping the sweat from her forehead. "I'm fine. You?"

"You are fine." Landon smirked, and she playfully rolled her eyes. "But, I'm good. Just here to check out a few places for my training facility."

"Oh, wow. You're not working at the Bureau anymore?" Naomi folded her arms across her chest.

"I just resigned yesterday. So, I'm getting started." Landon looked at her. "Maybe you can be my first client."

"You're such a flirt, Landon." Naomi laughs to herself.

"I can't help it." Landon shrugged his shoulders. "You're beautiful, it's natural."

"Well, I thank you. But, what's your expertise? Losing weight? Gaining weight? Athletes?"

"I'm really doing this for athletes. Preferably high school students." Naomi nodded in approval.

"Sounds good. Well, good luck to you." Naomi extended her hand.

Landon extended his arms, and Naomi rolled her eyes again. She hugged him, inhaling his cologne.

Damn, damn, damn.

"I know you need one of these." He said, hugging her tighter. "Sorry about everything that's going on."