t w e n t y - t h r e e

Messiah Cartier

Messiah Cartier

Los Angeles, California
9:12 p.m.

Excuse any mistakes.

Watching the tv that was on the wall directly in front of the bed, Zeke was tuned into Khari's documentary about his life, mostly about his wrongdoings. The name of the documentary was Elijah's Box of Letters. Naomi laid against him with her back on his chest, and his arms around her. She was only wearing his buttoned down shirt, and her hair was untamed considering the fact that they went a couple more rounds than expected.

      After he talked about coming back to his hometown and investing in the community in which he lived in, it switched to him and Malia dancing in the middle of the street when they were younger. It looked as if the footage was recorded when they were in college. She had a small baby bump.

"I love, love, love Khari Elijah Valentine." Malia said into the camera.

   The mood of the documentary turned sad as her statement was being replayed over and over, and Naomi turned up the tv. The word love was replaced with hate. Pizza, Sweatpants & Heels appeared across the screen. "That was the night. The night that change everything for me." Khari recalled with a smile that quickly vanished. "I wasn't ready, though. I just didn't want anyone else to have ha."

Pizza, sweatpants, and heels.. I still remember.
God....you were so beautiful.
Pineapples, that's what you preferred on your pizza
That's the night you shared my love for buildings, you saw me.
Better than I ever saw myself.
I didn't deserve you

I'll always remember that night
That's when you gave me my first chance, my first chance at love..
I let you down... I toyed with your heart mostly because I didn't have one
He's out, I'm in.. that's what you said. "Don't make me regret it."
Over the years, I saw the regret in your eyes. Innocence vanished.

You don't know the first thing about love, you were right.
You gave me hope to know
The only love I knew was murdered
In the ninth ward..
That's when I hit my lowest, I didn't want to grow.

I didn't even see love through your eyes
Even when you gave me my first my child.
Even when you lost one heartbeat...
You blamed yourself
But it was all on me, I should've loved you

God broke me, humbled me.
I was bowing at Her feet.
Two beautiful girls, crying out for me.
A second chance to right my wrongs
To love them without no holes.
Pizza, sweatpants, and heels..
That's when the world stood still.