02

The bastard.

He wouldn't go as far as killing the king, would he?

Who am I kidding?

His father was the one who killed my parents to get what he wanted so of course the son would be no different.

Like father, like son.

Another kingdom would fall in just one night. Another royal heir would be left an orphan.

So this is what he was planning all along ever since our engagement? That's why he has to wait until he had my hand for marriage. My parents died protecting me so that I wouldn't marry him. But his father had to get what he wanted and since my parents refused the engagement, he took their lives.

Leaving me alone in this cruel world.

I felt the numb heartache of the loss of my parents start to stir up again as I took a deep breath to calm myself.

A queen has to use their mind, not their heart.

Emotions and feelings are useless to me.

They will only bring me down and give mercy to others.

And I don't do mercy.

I had to protect the princess from tonight's tragedy. And from what I knew, she wasn't the strongest and had no experience whatsoever or training in fighting or self defense.

I clenched my fists as I saw Soo-Won approach me with a grin.

"Come now, my queen. We have a show to put on," he took my arm in his own as we sat in the carriage. "I'm sure you've already figured things out by now," he whispered by me ear as I glared at him. "You won't be able to stop me, no matter what you do. Then we will be able to marry, all of your inheritance becoming mine."

"That is if I let you," I dared as he rose an eyebrow.

"Oh? Your defiance always shows through, irritating me," he tsked.

"Thanks, I'll make sure to do it more often," I shot back.

"Do not dare to talk like that to the next Kouka King," Kye-Sook snapped at me as I smiled.

"Yeah, 'next Kouka King'," I mocked. "I was born a queen, I didn't need to kill anyone to get myself where I am. So sad that you were born with royal blood, yet still didn't get the title," I shook my head teasingly.

"Why, you!" Kye-Sook raised a wooden stick to swing at me as I caught it in my hands.

Pulling the end, I snapped the stick in half, throwing the pieces back in his face as he shouted in anger.

"Enough," Soo-Won ordered. "She is a queen, we can't do much yet. Have patience," he turned to look at me. "Do you have your ring?"

"No, I threw it away."

"Y/N, if it is not on your fi-"

"Don't give empty threats you can't fill," I cut him off as I held up my left hand, the ring shining off of my ring finger. "I have it, you moron. What about yours honey?" I mocked.

"Never take it off," he smirked as he showed off his ring.

I may wear the ring now, but I won't have it for long, that I can promise you Soo-Won.

Gritting my teeth, I sat back as we made our way to the kingdom's palace.

"We are here, my queen," the man in the front told me as I nodded back at him.

"He should say Soo-Won's name, not yours," Kye-Sook sneered as I chuckled.

"Sorry, but your dearest Soo-Won is not born royalty," I smirked, turning away as he boiled in anger behind me.

Princess, you better brace yourself.

What was her name again?

"My cousin Yona, we meet again," Soo-Won said, standing in front of the doors before opening them to go inside and greet everyone.

Yona.

Princess Yona, the one with the unforgettable red hair. Does she even have a bodyguard?

I walked in, forcing a smile as Soo-Won held my arm. My guard was up and I was on high alert, knowing what would go down in just a few hours time.

After all, his father made his strike at my parents at nightfall.

Wait, that would mean that some of the men at this palace would be under Soo-Won's command.

No one here could be trusted.

"Hey, you're finally here," I heard a masculine voice call out to Soo-Won.

"Haha, yeah, it took me long enough!" Soo-Won chuckled, his hold on me tightening as the man came closer.

His deep blue eyes widened upon seeing me, immediately bowing his head.

My own eyes widened at his actions.

He knew me? How? I had assumed that it was rare for me to be recognized as a queen anymore. Yet he still bowed to me?

"You know me?" I let the words slip through my lips as I stared at his bowed form.

"Of course, you're Queen Y/N, the mystery of your kingdom still remains," he raised his head to intensely stare at me.

Oh, it's no mystery.

You just don't know the truth.

But of course I wouldn't say that to him.

"I'm actually honored for once that you show respect for a fallen queen," I spoke as he rubbed the back of his head.

"Yeah, my gramps is a big fan of your family," he sighed as I laughed.

"I'd love to meet him," I nodded at him as he sighed again.

"Great, he'll go crazy," he looked as though he dreaded seeing it happen.

In a split second, his entire expression changed to a sharp one.

"But I am curious, what are you doing here with Soo-Won?" He looked at the both of us as and the arm Soo-Won had around me.

"Oh, Y/N is my fiancé. We're engaged and soon to be married," he grinned as the dark haired male looked as though he would have a heart attack.

"You're joking right? Does Yona know of this?"

"I'm afraid not, no one knew of us until now," Soo-Won smiled.

I saw a blur of red across from us and took it as my cue to leave.

"I'll be taking my leave now," I gave a forced smile as Yona got closer to us.

I turned away, walking towards the palace as the soldiers all eyed me. Narrowing my eyes at them, I realized that they all must be with Soo-Won. If they were everywhere, I'd never be able to warn the king or even keep an eye on him.

I took a step forward, turning my head away as my shoulder brushed against Yona's as she rushed towards Soo-Won, unaware of the pain that was to come.

I went to enter the palace, but before I could, a hand came over my eyes, an arm wrapping around my waist, pulling me back.

Oooooh~ well, as a queen, ya gotta look out for people who will attack you~