Chapter 8

"What the actual--", Acid begins before I nudge him and glance down at Net. He seemed to be preoccupied with his phone, which just made me feel one of those jealousy type feelings again. "What happened to her? Why is she covered in blood? Is it hers? Why the f*ck is she smiling?". His voice was frantic. I then notice that he's still in his pajamas.

       "You're asking questions that I don't know the answer to. If I did, I wouldn't be standing up there. Why didn't you stop her from going down to the basement?!", I ask and run a hand through my hair. "Why does this keep happening? Why is she always involved?".

   He doesn't answer my questions. He opened his mouth to, but something stopped him. It didn't take long for me to see what he stopped for. Charlotte was approaching us. I quickly back away so I'm in front of Bennett, practically blocking him so she couldn't get to him if she wanted to. "What happened?", I ask, breathless from fear.

    She shakes her head and looks down at her hands. She was still smiling. I look over at Acid to see him looking at her, fear in his eyes. Who wouldn't be scared? I look down at Net, whom was now, to my dismay, looking up at Charlotte. "Oh my god" he stands up, still behind me and reaches for my hand.

    "You're alright. Just stay behind me" I whisper to him. "Better yet, go back to the dorms. You'll be better off there". I look behind me at him and he shakes his head.  

   "I'm not leaving you", he says and grips my hand harder.

   Charlotte scoffs. "I'm not going to hurt you. I don't hurt people and I've never hurt anyone. Maybe if you would listen to the whole story, then you would understand", she replies, causing me to scoff.

    "Really? The whole story? You just came outside, covered in blood, smiling! Not to mention that you were seen going into the same place use to be the asylum", I say, my voice high. Everyone was looking at us now. She crosses her arms and just looks at me.

    "Hey, stop the confrontation", a police offer says as he approaches us. I look at him, then at Acid, then back at Charlotte. "Look", he looks at me. "I know as little as you. So we're taking her back. Have you and your friends been with her at all today?".

   I shake my head. "I went out, showing my boyfriend the campus and everything. We weren't in the dorms today at all after like...9 or 10 AM", I say, then glance at Acid. I didn't know where he was at all today, I don't even know if I can believe his story.

   I'm not sure who I can trust at all, but I do know that I'm glad Net is with me.

   We walk back to the dorm when everything is cleared. They had taken Charlotte to the police station for answers. "Are you hungry? Thirsty?" I ask my beloved boyfriend. He just shakes his head and sits on my bed.

    "Look", he begins, instantly creating a bad feeling in my stomach. "I don't think I wanna...be here anymore. It's all a bit much".

   I raise an eyebrow. "Okay, so..?", I start. "What do you mean? Do you wanna go home?". He nods and stands up.

    He puts a hand on my shoulder and it makes me wanna push it off. "I love you a lot, Brookline. But...I'm not coming back here. I'll call you every night, but I'm staying far away from here".

   He walks out of the room with his bag and doesn't look back. Just leaves me here to deal with whatever the f*ck is going on. I know it isn't his place to stay. But he didn't even stay the night. Just got scared and ran off.

   (A/N: 666 WORDS)