Chapter 17

"Alec!", I yell, but already the smoke was clearing my vision and burning my legs. I cough viciously into my hand and hit the ground, because smoke rises or whatever sh*t they always say. I put my shirt over my face and begin to crawl.

      All of a sudden, memories from my past hit me as hard and as fast as a truck. It took my breath away, the little breath I still had. I pant and close my eyes tightly, letting the memory envelop me.

           -Brookline's flashback-

   I dance around the kitchen with my mom, some classic music playing in the background of our own little world. "Mommy" I giggle wildly and she spins me around and I cling on to her long white night gown.

    She was beautiful. Long hair and green eyes. She was tall, but it was mostly legs. She moved in such a graceful way, such a passionate way as if whatever she was doing, she did it with a purpose. This was my mom, this was my life.

    "Okay, Brookie" she says and picks me up. I was only 5, and quite small for my age. "Let me see those boo boo's". I turn my back to her and she lifts my shirt. My father had been doing science experiments on me since I was born. Prodding and poking me since I was old enough to stand on my own.

     "Baby" she whispers and starts dabbing rubbing alcohol onto the freshly made wounds. Apparently, whipping a child with a sexual whip and seeing how much he can take before he passes out is a science experiment.

   The answer was 17 whips, if you were wondering.

    She finishes up and I hear my dad trotting down the steps of our large house. My mom puts my shirt down and I turn to face whatever is about to happen. "I need the boy!" He grabs my arm and I don't pull back. I know better. For some odd reason, I trusted him. I know I shouldn't. But he's my dad, I'm a child. Of course I trusted him.

    "No!", my mom grabs me back and holds my head to her chest. "You already did work to him this morning. No more, not today". His soft and bored expression turns into a hard glare aimed at it.

   "He's my kid!", she yells. They bicker back and forth until my mom yells "YOU'LL KILL HIM!". That shuts him up, and he lowers his gaze to me. I was still wrapped around my mother and bury my face in her dress.

   "Fine!", he says. My face was hidden so I didn't see him walk away, I just heard him. I peek after he's gone and mom runs her hand through my hair. "You're okay", she whispers over and over again.

    That night, as I lay in my bed dreaming sweetly, unaware of what my father was doing. All I know is that when I woke up, I was in an ambulance with a mask on. "Mommy?", I manage to get out.

   The lady in the ambulance looks down at me with pity in her eyes. "Oh baby, your momma and daddy were in a fire. You got out, but they didn't. I'm so sorry".

              -End of Flashback-

    I sit up in whatever bed I was in, coughing wildly and heaving in the air around me. "Sir, lay down", I was being pushed down my two men in the back of an ambulance. 2nd times the charm?

      "I can't breathe. Where is Bennet?", I'm able to get out. That was such a stupid question. Bennet wasn't here, Net was never coming back and I can't say I blame him. But I can blame him for cheating on me. But I couldn't think about that, there was more on the line then just my relationship. "Where's Alec?".

   "The boy whom you were with is alright for the moment. He had to jump out the little window he was by and it was a decently long while. But you worry about you. Will you just lay back, let us take care of you", he says. I nod and lay back and they put the oxygen mask back on my face. I fall asleep instantly.

      I woke up a few hours later and look around the hospital room. "Bland and blank, isn't it?", I hear a voice from beside my bed. Acid was sitting on a chair beside the bed, just staring at the wall.

    I chuckle and wince. "Lung damage, not much but enough. How do you feel?", he asks me when he seems me wince.

      "I'm okay, tired. Pained" I rub my eyes. I was lying. My insides felt like they were on fire, but I wasn't going to admit it. "Lit, really". I look over at Acid and we look at each other for a second before we bust out laughing.

    I clutch my stomach and laugh hard, as does he. "You're killing me", he laughs and puts his head back.  The door opens and I don't bother to look. It was just a doctor, I assumed.

     "Hey", a voice sounds. I look over quickly. Standing at the door was Bennet Judson dressed in a strange green costume.