Chapter 23

I sit down under the tree in the quad, once again sulking in my pain like I've done several times. I look down at the large book in my lap and run a hand through my hair. "Is everything just a lie?", I whisper to myself.

   Bennet had gone home after seeing that I was doing okay. He had to get back to high school and I had my own classes to attend. But now I felt completely alone. I hadn't even seen Malachi in a week.

    "Hey there, stranger" a voice calls out. I turn a little and see Alec coming down the walkway, a blue and yellow backpack thrown over his arm. "Fancy seeing you here". My eyes widen as if I've seen a ghost. I didn't even know if this kid was alive and here he is, not a mark on him.

    "Wow" I say softly, looking up at him. "I really didn't expect to see you ever again. How are you doing? Any permanent marks?". He shakes his head and sits beside me.

   "No, no marks at all. I'm doing pretty well. I don't even know what happened that time and it's keeping me up when I try to sleep", he says softly. It's like his mood changed to peaceful and happy college student, then when he sat down it changed to a saddened and depressed college student. I relate. (A/N: Same)

    "We were on a scavenger hunt and someone tried to kill us" I turn my head to look at him and the corner of his lips turn up slightly. It was like he was going to laugh, and seeing it made me want to laugh too. "Why are you grinning?". This time, his laugh busts out and I don't know whether to run from this psycho path or laugh with him.

   "Repeat that sentence to yourself. Someone tried to kill us during a scavenger hunt!" He exclaims, laughing so hard that he has to gasp for breath. What the f*ck was this kid on? "I'm sorry", he sucks in a breath. "I just find it extremely... odd and comedic. Two college boys.. terrorized by college antichrist".

  This time, I do laugh. That is until I see someone I haven't seen since the first couple weeks of school. Charlotte. I get up and take a run for it. She had her back turned towards me so there's no way she could see me.

   I follow her and when I get close, I slow my steps and stay quiet. She was walking towards the chapel. I put a hand over my mouth to silence my breathing and keep my distance, but still follow.

   She goes inside and I follow her, even when she goes down a set of steps I had never seen before in the chapel. I make sure to keep my feet from stomping down. But when I reach the last few steps, I'm shocked about what I see.

    There's a circle of people. And in the middle there's a red pentagon, much like the one that was painted in my room. But in the midst of the circle sits Malachi Jordan.