Let It Roll

Alex's POV:

I woke up, and she wasn't in bed. The strangest part was that everyone else was? How the hell did I wake up this early? My body must've known that she wasn't here, and something wasn't right. The only sound filling the upstairs air was that of Zack's apnea snoring, Emily's pregnant snoring, and the few fans on to keep air circulating. I stood, slipping on the first pair of sweats I could find, and went downstairs.

In the bathroom, I heard the faint sound of crying. I wasn't positively sure that it was Marina, so I pressed my ear to the door. Sure enough, that was her. I lightly turned the doorknob, peeking in. She was sitting on the toilet, head resting in one hand. Her other arm was extended over her knee, holding a small, shiny object in her hand. I sat on a knee in front of her, rubbing her leg.

"Rina, baby, whatcha got there?" I asked, trying to look at her face, but I just couldn't. It was too teary and red.

I felt her hand, prying her of the object, which nearly made me cry. It was a blade from a pencil sharpener. I dropped it on the ground. She lightly wrapped her arms around me, crying desperately into my shoulder. I just rubbed her back and shhed her, just trying to think what would make her wanna do this again.

"Baby, just calm down. I'm here now. Everything is okay. Everything will be okay." I tried explaining. My heart rate was rising extremely, beating faster with each beat. 

She seemed to be breathing a lot better now. "Dammit, I just wanna scream, but I don't even have the energy to." her voice begged.

"Did you do it?" I wearily asked.

"No." she bawled. "I knew you'd find out if I did, so I didn't."

A weight was lifted off of me. "Thank you. Thank you, baby." I nuzzled my nose into her shoulder.

She was almost back to normal. Of course, her face was still pretty well beat, but I thought she was beautiful. "Thank you so much for being here right now."

"Anything for you." I held her again, slowly rocking us. "I knew something wasn't right."

"Can I tell you something?" she asked.

"Of course." I rubbed her. 

"It's kind of a long story." she wiped a stray tear.

"I'll listen to every word." 

She walked out of the bathroom, and I followed. We headed up the stairs, passed the sleeping bunks, and into the beautiful upstairs front lounge. It had a view overlooking outside, which was absolutely lovely. 

"Can you lie down? I just wanna cuddle right now." she asked, sounding so beat.

I landed on my back. She sprawled out on top of me. "Speak." I instructed.

"Well, you know how it is with my folks. They never call me, and when they do, all they want is money. So last night mom called, and I was just so tired that I immediately assumed she wanted money, and I bitched her out and was just so unpleasant. My stepdad called me this morning and said Mom had been crying all night and he wanted to know what was up. I tried talking to Mom but she refused to talk to me and I can't help but think I'm a shitty daughter. And I try to treat them well, I really do, but they always want more and I can't give it to them." 

I thought for a moment. This girl has always treated her parents better than my entire band combined. Why the sudden change? "If you're mom won't talk to you, then there's nothing you can do about it. She's gonna hold her grudge until she gets sick of it and calls you again."

"We last night, she said that I'm a bitch and that's why she never calls." Marina rested her head on my chest.

What an awful thing for a mother to say to her daughter. "Just forget about, okay? She's gonna call back, I guarantee it."