Remembering Sunday

Alex's POV:

I was driving down the highway, the summer sun lifing over the mountains. After a day of cooling of and winding down from the wedding, it was my turn to go on vacation. Marina thought my idea was sweet, so here we were, driving to York Beach, Maine, early morning. I specifically remember Marina telling me it was one of her favorite places to go as a kid. 

Speaking of Marina, she was sitting in the passengers seat, staring out the window. A beautiful smile lit up her entire face. She was wearing one of those knit shirts, the ones I liked so much. The radio was off, and we were both, just, thinking. Thinking of how fortunate we were to have this lifestyle, and these oppurtunities, and each other. Our fingers were interlocked. It had only taken us six hours, and since we started in the middle of the night, we were here at half past seven.

I parked the car in front of the hotel I had picked for us. It was right on the edge of the ocean. Marina yawned and got out. I followed her, popping the trunk and getting our suitcases. We grabbed hands and walked into the main lobby, up to the front desk.

"Room reserved for two, under the name Gaskarth." I explained.

"Alright. Can I see your ID?" the lady said.

I pulled out my driver's license and handed it over. She eyed it quickly, giving it back, then handed me a paper and pen. "Sign here, and everything will be all set."

I signed, like I had done so many times before. She took it back, and gave me my key. "Enjoy your stay! And just so you know, tonight is $6 burger night at the pub."

"Well I know where we're going to dinner tonight." I nudged her.

"Yeah, that sounds nice. I haven't had a burger here since I was twelve."

The front desk lady laughed. "Have a nice stay guys!"

"Thank you!" Marina called back, as we headed up the stairs. "What floor are we on?"

"The third floor. I figured it would be the perfect view, since it's right in the middle." I replied.

"You got us a balcony?" she asked, flattered.

"Of course." I said.

"Seriously Alex, I am so incredibly happy that I finally get some alone time with you. No more bratty friends, just you. My man." she smiled.

"So what are we going to do today, big butt? You know this place a lot better than I do." I laughed.

"I don't know, Alley Cat. I was thinking we could take a bit of a drive up to Fort Foster. You'd love it there, there's plenty of places to explore. The only thing is that we'd need to bring our own food." she said. "But they have grills there, so we'd just need like hot dogs or something."

"Sounds great." I headed farther up the stairs, until we finally reached our floor. We went into our room, which was beautiful, and had a towel heart on the bed. That was sweet. We set our things down. 

"Okay, what are we gonna need there? Hmm." she pondered. looking around the room. "I'll just grab my purse because it's little, and it can hold money and my phone and my camera. Oh, and we need something to put our food in. Do you have a cooler?"

"Yeah, actually, I have one in the back of my car." I answered. "C'mon, let's get moving!"

We got back outside, and hopped in the car, driving a little ways off to a small supermarket, where we picked up a package of hot dogs, a package of veggie burgers (because they're more flavorful), some Arizona ice teas, ketchup, mustard, and buns. We almost forgot to also grab some potato chips. What a balanced lunch we would have!