Heroes

Marina's POV:

I bounced off the stage, heading into my dressing room. I had just performed Remembering Sunday with Alex, and things were going well so far. We still fought every day, but today, it didn't seem like we would. 

Emily was perched in a chair, quietly reading a book on her ipad. I wondered what she was reading. I poured a glass of brandy for myself, seeing as I spent the entire summer with hardly drinking at all (or eating , for that matter). It tasted rich in fruit and warmth. I curled my fingers around the round glass, sipping in delight.

"Are you trying to rub that in my face, Marina?" Emily peeked over her reading material.

"What are you reading?" I blew right over the topic of alcohol.

"City of Bones."

"Christ, not another teen dystopian novel." I rolled my eyes and sat beside her.

"It's not even-" She paused, then cringed .

"What's wrong?" I asked, setting down my brandy in concern.

"Just the baby kicking." She said. "It has to be a girl. No boy is this mean."

I laughed a little, then took another sip. "Yeah, but no girl is that violent."

"I suppose you have a point." She sighed. "It just really gets in the way of stuff a lot of the time."

"Emily, you're pregnant. You get the worst pain of your life for nine months, and then you get the best joy for eighteen years." I explained.

"Sometimes I get worried that being a mother is too much of a responsibility."

"For you to handle? What? Pft, no." I dismissed. She was far too nuturing to have troubles with motherhood. "And besides, you're not alone. You have Zack."

She paused. "I feel like everything this pregnancy is different. We used to all get together, us girls, and dream about having families. And Kianna was with Jack-"

"Instadad, yeah." I remembered.

"Colby and Luke were going strong. And you were with Alex. But we've lost so much of that companionship because everyone is so wrapped up in the problems they have with that significant other. I just wish everyone was as happy as Zack and I." She wiped up tears that were dripping down her cheeks.

"We will, Em. But not with those guys." I paused. "Not with Alex. I mean, he and I would make terrible parents. I'd be too busy trying to cut and kill myself, and Alex-"

"Would be downing rubbing alcohol. Yeah, I know." She bitterly exclaimed.

I felt my entire body go numb. Was she fucking with me? "He...WHAT?" I screamed.

He face went white. "Oh shit, I wasn't supposed to tell you." She covered her mouth.

"What did he do?" I desperately asked.

"Marina, you cannot flip out when I tell you this-"

"I'm going to flip out whether you tell me or not!" I steamed.

She took a deep breath in. Faster, please, I'm begging. "A week before tour, Alex made a suicide attempt. I wasn't supposed to know, but I do. He drank lethal amounts of rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer. I don't know why."

I stood from my seat, tears streaming down my face and onto my neck. I covered my mouth to try and stop the cries from wailing out, but I couldn't. I ran, and although I couldn't see anything, I continued. Emily tried chasing me, but it was no use. I needed to hear this from him.