Backseat Serenade

Marina's POV:

"So you're- wait- what?" Colby asked in disbelief.

"Marina, I'm sorry, but this is going too far. What are you?" Emily added.

"We're just trying to find our way back to whatever the hell we are. It's complicated." I explained.

"No! Absolutely not! You're staying with the rest of us at Em's." Kianna stated.

"It's really not up to you." I reminded politely.

"You know how you two get. It's an unsafe enviroment for you!" Colby begged. "Please, please don't go."

"It feels more like home to me than any place ever has." I lied. That place was his arms, although I'd never tell.

"I hate it. I hate letting you go. But I think you've been feeling lost. It'll be nice for you to return to your roots." Emily said.

"Yeah. And sleep in my own bed." I mumbled.

"What are you gonna do, kick him out of his room?" Colby laughed.

"Sure." I muttered.

______________________________________________________

"I'm kinda relieved that you're coming with me." He said as we walked down the street. "It wouldn't feel the same without you."

I stopped. This was where the bus stop was. I grabbed his hand and interlocked our fingers. He squeezed back. "I know exactly what you're feeling." He said.

We kept walking, silently absorbing all the sad past. I could almost feel the rage. Partially, because of my anxiety at the moment. Would he see the bathroom? Would he know? I couldn't let him know. As we walked up the stairs of the pourch, that desperately needed to be raked, I noticed a sense of death in the air. The death of all our old flowers and plants and everything that once came to life. They must've died when we did.

He opened the door, and the inside of the house was cold. Yet, it was more alive than the outside. 

"Something's missing." He took the first step in. He turned around to look at me, and pulled me gently by the shoulders until I was in. He closed the door. "Now, it's complete."

I looked around the house. It seemed like forever since I'd been here. Everything came down like a northern downpour. This was home. This was where I was meant to be. He saw me standing still, and he pulled me in for a hug. Yes, this was home. We split again, and he turned on the TV.

"I was thinking we could watch a movie tonight? Anything you've been wanting to see?" He asked.

I plopped down on the sofa. "Wayne's World."

He lightly laughed. "We've both seen Wayne's World a billion times."

"Doesn't mean we can't see it a billion more!" I propped up my feet and grabbed the knit blanket that I had made. 

"How about American Hustle? Have you seen that one yet?" He asked, sitting beside me.

I gave him some of the blanket. "Yes. It was alright, but I definitely wouldn't want to see it again."

"One time watch kind of thing?" He kicked off his shoes.

"Definitely." I scooted closer to him.

"How about Dallas Buyers Club? I heard Jared won an oscar for it."

I started to fangirl."He was amazing! And so was Matthew! Oh my lord, one of the best movies I've ever seen!"

"You've seen everything! 12 years a slave?"