Forget About It

Quick fun fact: Forget About It was the first ATL song I learned every word to. It reminded me so much of my relationship type thingy at the time. I think it suits this chapter very well, and I'm proud to have gotten far enough in my story to use it.

*

Alex's POV:

I was home again. This house was nearly all the same. The smell, so similar. Everything just seemed too eerily perfect. A glass of wine was in my hand. Red, nearly the color of blood. I brought it to my mouth, taking a sip. As soon as my mouth touched the glass, it disappeared. I walked to the counter and set it down. Wine. I'd never forget that it was wine. Then I glanced at my hand. Her- her ring. It was on again. Her class ring. I tried to take it off, but it wouldn't budge. 

Suddenly, a figure came. Swift, steadfast, and silent. Decked in camoflauge, head to toe. Her. Why was she here? I didn't understand. She didn't spare me a glance. She just headed directly out the door.

I wanted to stay as steadfast as her, but my legs moved. The chased her, and caught er right before I walked out the door.

"Marina!" My mouth uttered. Although it sounded like me, it wasn't under my control.

"What?" She lifelessy said, keeping her head facing the door. I could only see one side, as I had been the entire time.

"Marina, where are you going?" I asked.

"To war." She answered in the same tone.

"War? With who?"

"You." 

What? "But, how? If you want war, I'm right here. How can we have a war from afar?" I asked.

"Because I'm walking out. That's how the war begins." She still kept eye contact away from me.

I was confused, still. "Why are you dressed as a soldier?"

"Because I need to defend myself."

It was all coming together, slowly. Her walls were up. I thought for a moment, leaving a silence. She put her hand to the doorknob. The hand on the side that she wasn't facing me. It was pale, and had a ring on one of the skinny fingers. The promise ring. The ring of the promise I'd broken.

"Why are you still wearing that ring?" I asked.

"Why are you still wearing yours?" She still faced the door.

"I can't take it off."

"You can't take off your love for someone." She said, then brought her voice lower. "I can't take off mine either."

"Why won't you look at me?" I brought up, finally.

"I won't let you see this side of me." 

"Marina-"

"Do you want it that bad?"

"Yes."

She looked at me, finally. The side I couldn't see was much paler and skinnier. It reminded me of the time everyone had fallen apart. There were tears drying, and constantly running. Her eye was red and puffy. But the other side of her was still steadfast as a tin soldier.

I couldn't speak, no matter how hard I tried. Instead, my body just forced it's way to hug her. Her embrace felt so full. It was the warmest, rightest thing I'd felt in such a long time. Since that morning she left. I couldn't let her go again. Her arms kept squeezing my body. I felt her soldier's attire and dreary skin fade, until she was smiling and wearing something different- her prom dress. Her face looked exactly the same as it had the moment after we kissed. I looked at my own clothes. I went from normal street wear to the tuxedo I wore on that day, with the same flower and everything. I felt back in a place of comfort.