CHAPTER THREE - TRY

Since I was already at the hospital, I took the opportunity to check on the kids

Since I was already at the hospital, I took the opportunity to check on the kids. I put my white smock on, above my comfy clothes, and began my tour. I took the first file at the entrance of Bethany's room, and realized that Carl already checked on the kids a few minutes ago. I sighed heavily, as it was crystal clear to me that, now the boss was back, I didn't have as much freedom as I had when he was on holidays.

I put the file back in its case, and turned around, looking down at my inanimate pager.

"Wow, easy there! You should ask me out first," Carl joked, as I bumped into him without paying attention.

"Sorry," I simply apologized, and kept on walking.

"Hayley, wait!" he, of course, called after me. "What's your problem?" he asked, when he was in front of me. "You've been acting all cold towards me since I came back."

"I'm not acting cold, I'm acting professional, Dr. Meyers," I corrected him, stuffing my hands in my smock's pockets.

"Ever since you've been working here, I've never had the chance to sympathize with you. Why can't you let people in?"

"You don't know me, don't say I don't let people in," I snapped, and his eyes widened a bit at my sudden harsh words. "I'm not here to sympathize, I'm here to do my job."

"I'd like to invite you into the OR with me tonight. I planned a craniotomy on the little one with a brain tumor, in room B141. We could talk about the procedure around a cup of coffee. Is that professional?"

Meyers knew I loved to observe his procedures from the gallery. I made the mistake, in the past, to tell him I admired his work, and that I aspired to know my job as well as he knows his. Ever since that moment, I became his number one prey, and his only objective was to take me on a kind of date.

"His name is Tom," I said in an annoyed tone, before looking down, thinking about the question for a few seconds. "Will you finally stop chasing me if I accept?"

"I can't promise you this, but I'll try my best," he smirked. "Is that a yes?"

"And I'm coming with you in the OR for Tom's procedure, right?"

"Yes. This evening, six thirty in OR 5. And you don't have work to do since I've done everything that needed to be done when you were home."

I rolled my eyes, and looked down at my watch. He had everything planned.

The surgery was in two hours, meaning we had free time before the procedure starts, there was no more valuable reason for me to say no. Plus, having the opportunity to go in the OR was not to be neglected, I loved my job too much to refuse.

"Let's go grab this coffee," I simply said, walking past him to the cafeteria. I turned around, only to see him with a grin on his face. I shook my head and rolled my eyes yet another time, before whispering to myself, "Asshole."