CHAPTER FORTY NINE - JULY 1ST

July, 1st, 1991

July, 1st, 1991

Dear Diary,

Here we are, today is the day of my twenty ninth year on earth. If mom was still there, she would make a huge deal out of this. She used to say that it was important for this day to be celebrated, because she thought that it would never happen since doctors told her she couldn't get pregnant. Every year, she made sure I had the biggest birthday party ever. Dad used to tell her that it was always too much, but I didn't say anything. To me, my birthday is her day. It used to be a happy day, and ever since she passed, I still try to make sure it stays one.

Today is also Hayden's birthday, and I would be lying to say that it doesn't change anything. It does. I think that, somehow, it allows me to feel like I'm not alone. I cherish the fact that we share the same date of birth and the DNA. Well, I cherish the fact that I have a brother, period. Of course I hoped that maybe we could spend some time together on this day, but Hayden has to work and fulfill his father duties, which I understand perfectly.

I, on the other hand, have the day for myself. Since I replaced Carl for the whole past week, he gave me my day off so that I can rest and do whatever I please on that special day. A couple of days ago, Michael asked me to come over for the day, and of course, I gladly accepted. Apparently he has a surprise for me, and I can't wait to get there to see what it is. Spending the day with him doing nothing would have been enough for me to be happy, but knowing Michael, I know he has something way better in mind.

With a smile on, I closed my journal and put it back on the window seat where I was comfortably seated. I took one last look by the window, and I was finally ready to start this not-so-special day. The first thing I did was to go downstairs to pour myself a cup of coffee. Birthday or not, I needed my morning coffee to be fully awake. On the kitchen island, I found a little note from my best friends, and I couldn't help but to grin down at it. I appreciated the little gesture. Thinking that they took the time to write me something made me smile.

"Good morning sunshine,

Because of a shower that lasted longer than expected this morning (winky winky), we're actually running late right now but we wanted to wish you a happy birthday before leaving. Enjoy the day off your handsome, kind, sexy and adorable boss gave you, and make the most out of it. Today's your day. Happy birthday again, Brit.

Love,

C."

I smiled at Carl's silliness, and kept on reading. Just after his note was Alice's, and I knew it would probably be as silly as her boyfriend's.

"Even when he leaves notes this man can't behave... Anyway, hey beautiful, happy birthday! Jeez, I've been wishing you this every year for a while now, huh? But I couldn't be happier to be able to spend another year of your existence by your side. You mean the world to me, and I love you to the moon and back. I can't wait for you to tell me all about your day and how Michael offered you some D for your birthday.