CHAPTER THIRTY TWO - FAMILY

The sound of the birds chirping outside was the first thing I heard when I got out of my deep sleep

The sound of the birds chirping outside was the first thing I heard when I got out of my deep sleep. It had been ages since I didn't sleep that well, and I was enjoying the feeling of being well-rested for once.

With my eyes still shut, I turned around with a little content smile, pulling the warm covers up to my chin. When I opened my eyelids, a frown formed on my face as I finally realized I was in a bed I didn't know, in a room I had never seen in my life. I immediately sat up in bed in a swift motion, and looked at my surroundings. The last thing I remembered was being in the car with Michael and Bill, on our way to Neverland. I didn't have any memory of going to bed. None.

When it hit me, I brought my hand to my forehead, and felt my cheeks heat up since I was blushing hard. I understood that I fell asleep in the car, and that Michael or Bill probably carried me in there.

"Oh hell no," I said to myself, as I sank deeper in the mattress, and buried myself under the covers.

It was only late at night when we arrived at Neverland, around four in the morning. With the long day I had, I couldn't fight my tiredness anymore, and ended up falling asleep in the car. As promised, Bill came to pick us up at one in the morning sharp, so we left Alice and Carl at the loft after we spent the rest of the evening with them. I was delighted to see that Michael got along pretty well with them. In the car, he explained to me that he felt safe around them, because he felt understood, which was rare for him. He told me how hard it was for him to mention his vitiligo, but it wasn't with us. I was happy to see that he felt as safe as me when I am around him.

Throughout the night, Alice couldn't help but be awkward around Michael, and I found this quite cute. She would start to stutter whenever he asked her a question, or she would just start to stare weirdly a him at times. Michael found this hilarious, though.

Slowly, I uncovered myself and tried to push away that feeling I had in my guts: I felt incredibly embarrassed.

And that feeling would stay with me or a little longer.

I looked at the clock on the nightstand, and realized it was almost noon. My eyes widened as I got out of bed in a swift motion. I started to run around the room like a mad woman, and opened the different doors to find where was the bathroom. When I found it, I didn't waste another minute and took off my clothes, almost tripping over my own two feet in the process, and went into the tub. It definitely was the quickest shower I ever had.

Wrapped in a white towel, I jogged out of the bathroom, and scanned the room with my eyes, looking for the bag I brought along with me with clean clothes, and other personal items. When I spotted it on the chair by the bed, I took my clothes out, which consisted in a pair of high-waisted jeans and a white crop top, and got dressed rapidly. As my hair was still wet, I dried it with the towel for another minute, and went back into the bathroom to apply some moisturizer over my face, along with a bit of under-eye concealer. As I wasn't on duty, I allowed myself to put some gray eye shadow on my eyelids, and that was it. I didn't like make-up that much.