CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - SAFE

Morning came faster than I expected. I turned my back to the window as I felt the sun rays hitting my face, and groaned a little at the feeling.

I didn't sleep quite much the night prior. As soon as Michael and I put an end to our phone call, I kept on tossing and turning because many questions started to run through my head. I wish we had talked longer, though. I guessed he probably had better things to do than speak to a complete awkward stranger.

Awkward. This is probably the reason why he decided to hang up. He certainly thought I was some kind of weirdo, and decided to cut the conversation short when he noticed I was so distracted at times. Thing is, I kept on hearing things I shouldn't have heard, and I kept on seeing things I shouldn't have seen. Some images forced themselves into my brain without me allowing them to settle there. The visions weren't as painful and bad as the ones I had before, but because of them, I lost my focus and my ability to make a constructive sentence, which probably scared Michael away.

"Are you there?" Michael soft voice asked.

"There, where? Uh, yeah, I'm here. I'm sorry, I uh—my cat just fell off the table," I said, as I my eyes were tightly shut, trying to push the images of Michael and some kids away from my head.

I don't have a cat.

At the memory of this embarrassing moment, I buried my head in my pillow in shame.

I was up all night trying to find a way to make those visions less painful. I needed to find a way to just live with them, because it was a handicap in my daily life. I didn't know if this was possible, though, but I was more than willing to try anything.

It's quite hard to live in a world where you can't talk about your difference because you're scared that people would run away when you tell them about it. In my case, nobody would understand me. I sometimes wondered how people would react though. People outside my family, I mean. I'm sure that some people would probably think that I am crazy, and some others would simply be skeptical and call me a fortune teller.

A fortune teller, huh. I wish it was that easy. I could just read people's future on command through a crystal ball and that would be all. But I don't know what I am. I am just me. I am just a girl who happens to see the future of certain people without knowing how. Hell, I wouldn't even be capable to explain how this whole thing works if I was asked to.

In the past, I already tried to find people like me, in vain. I was alone in this. I had to figure out this whole thing by myself.

I sighed heavily at the sound of my own thoughts and sat up in bed with squinty eyes. I brushed my hands over my face, and a yawn came out of my mouth. I was happy I had the day off, because I really was tired. If I hadn't my appointment with my therapist and a birthday party to plan, I probably would have stayed in bed all day and hide myself in shame under the covers.

"Such a mess," I whispered to myself under my breath, as I stepped out of bed.

I came downstairs to the kitchen and noticed a little note on the island. I took it in my hands and recognized Carl's almost unreadable handwriting.

The legend is true. Doctors' handwritings are really that bad.

"Hope I didn't make too much noise this morning. The front door is open. Enjoy your day off. See you tonight, xo, Carl," I read out loud, a little smile touching my lips.

I did feel lonely at times, and Carl's presence would probably be comforting and bring warmth in my big, cold, empty loft. The only people I saw outside my work schedule were my grand mother and Alice. I love them to pieces, but having another friend to talk to couldn't hurt.