CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT - NEW PLAN

I spun around and looked at my surroundings closely, trying to identify where I was. I took small steps as I walked around the unknown room. Something inside of me was telling me to walk straight ahead, and I obeyed my guts. They led me to a mysterious door that I hesitated to open. I had no idea what was behind it, or what I was doing in this place. One thing I knew is that my instincts wanted me to find out.

When I pushed the door open, the first person I saw was Michael, sitting on the edge of a king sized bed, holding his skull in his hands with his elbows on his knees.

"Michael?" I called, but he didn't answer nor did he look up to me. "Honey, it's me," I told him, as I walked closer to him. Still, he didn't move. When I finally reached him, I put my hand on his shoulder, but I couldn't feel it there. "What the hell?"

Suddenly, Michael moved again to take the phone on the nightstand in his hand. He had been crying, I could see it in his eyes. The pain, the sadness... This is all I could see on his face. He sniffled back his tears while dialing a number quickly, and waited for the person to pick up the phone on the other end.

"H—Hale," he painfully said through the phone, and his voice broke.

I frowned, utterly confused by the scene that was unfolding before my eyes. How could I be in the same room as him while I was also the one at the other end of the phone? How could I touch him without feeling him?

"I—It hurts," he went on, and he started weeping. "I—I can't go on like this, I need my pain killers. I'm in pain, I—I can't sleep and I feel so lonely. I need the pain to stop," he cried even more, so much that he wasn't able to speak another word.

The sight broke my heart and brought tears into my own eyes. My entire being was filled with pain as I brought a hand to cover my mouth. Tears started to stream down my face, as I squatted in front of him. I put my hand on his knee and looked at his empty face. Every trace of happiness was gone, and it was replaced by utter pain.

"I—I miss you, a—and I need you," he told me through the receiver he had a tight grip on, like his whole body was tensed. "I need you t—to keep me sane right now, I feel like I'm going crazy. Please, I need you," he cried in agony, and I cried along with him, feeling this burning sensation in my chest.

"Michael," I whispered, rubbing his knee even though either of us could feel it.

"I'm coming for you Michael."

"Hale! Oh my God, Hayley open your eyes," I recognized Hayden's voice calling me name, but I didn't react right away.

"Brit come on, stay with us," another voice I recognized as Carl's encouraged me. "What did she say?"

"I—I don't know, something about Michael. P—Please Carl do something for her," Hayden begged in a worried voice, and I finally opened my eyes at this very sound. "Hale! She's back!"

"Come on Brit, keep your eyes open, you can do this," Carl encouraged again, and I tried my best to do as told.

For some reason, I was exhausted, and it was hard for me to stay awake. I looked at my surroundings, and realized I was on a gurney with my brother and Carl on each side of it. The look on their faces alarmed me a bit: there were, without a doubt, worried sick about me. Hayden had a tight grip on my hand, and it's like every color had left his face.

We arrived in a room, and I immediately recognized my surroundings: we were in a trauma room in the ER. No matter how dizzy I felt, I recognized my work place right away. I felt weak, like my whole body was giving up on me, like I had been drained of all of my energy at once. I could barely feel my muscles, and everything around me was blurry.