CHAPTER FIVE - WHY?

I slammed my car's door, and walked to the front door of my home. I was pissed, and I had a headache that wouldn't go away: today was a bad day, I could feel it in my guts.

"Hey honey, how was college?" my mother asked, as she walked past me to go in the kitchen. "You seem angry. What's wrong?" she asked, as I sat at the kitchen island.

"I have a headache since this morning, and Alice and I argued earlier," I explained, rubbing my temples.

"What happened?" my mother asked, full of concern as she sat across from me.

"I told her I didn't want to be a nurse anymore, and she got mad because we had plans."

"Plans? What kind of plans?"

"We wanted to finish college and then move in together and find a job in the same hospital. She feels like I'm letting her down, and I don't like it. This is not what I'm doing, I just feel like I want to be a doctor, and be surrounded by children, you know?" I asked my mom, and a smile appeared on her face. "What are you smiling for?"

"You're grown now, Hayley. You're a grown woman who knows what she wants and who makes her own choice, and witnessing that when you're a parent is the best feeling in the world," she explained, rubbing the top of my hand. "Go for it. Become a doctor, save lives."

"I have this party tonight, maybe Alice and I would be able to talk together. I don't want to lose her. It's like she's the only one with who I feel comfortable enough to be who I am."

"But still, she doesn't know about your gift, honey. Maybe you should tell her, I'm sure she would understand," mom reassured me, once again.

"I don't think so, mom. If she's not able to understand that I didn't change my mind about being a nurse to hurt her feelings, do you think she'll be able to understand that I can see the future?" I asked her.

"You'll know that once you guys will talk tonight. If you see she understands, then you know she'll believe you," she smiled again.

I smiled back at my mother's words, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head. I stood up, and gave her a tight and loving hug. But at the moment I took her in my arms, a weird feeling invaded me. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach, like someone punched me, or even like someone shot me. I quickly pulled away from her with terror written all over my face.

"Hayley, what is it?" my mother asked, cupping my face, as I looked at her with widened eyes. "Are you alright?"

"I—I don't know. I'm feeling weird, I—I need to sit down," I said, sitting down on the bar stool my mother was sitting on a minute ago.

"Where does it hurt?"

"My head is spinning, and it hurts. A—And I don't know, I felt a pain in my stomach too, like someone punched me."

"Do you want some aspirin? Did you eat well today?"

"Mom, it's not that," I shook my head, and looked up at her. "I think-- I think it's happening again."

"Honey, what are you talking about?" my mother asked, as she started to worry.

"I didn't see anything, but I can feel it," I said, with a lump forming in my throat. "Something's about to happen... to you," I voiced, getting scared of my own words.

"Honey, I'm fine. Don't worry. Nothing can happen to me, we're safe here."

"You don't understand mom, I feel it. Was I ever wrong about such a thing?" I asked, raising my voice a little as I was getting scared of that weird feeling I had.